RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

virtualbox and media center extender

Embiggens

I'm curious about running windows 7 as a guest os on WHS using virtualbox or something like that. Specifically, I'm wondering if this would have the juice to serve up a single media center extender. Has anyone tried this with an N40L microserver? Thanks,

Embiggens

• 2 weeks later...

Next question: was this the worst post ever? Up for over a week, zero replies, zero VIEWS. Man I am a dud.

For the record, I have read enough to decide not even to try this. Instead I may turn my microserver box into a dedicated wmc extender source, and I will set up my whs as hyper-v guest on another box.

Edit: wait it's saying 50 views now, strange.

Edited by Embiggens

I don't know about the N40L as the host hardware, all I've heard and read about that box is that it's neat but slow. It might work out as a source for your extender but why not just add the disk space to your WMC or WHS directly?

The idea of running WMC virtualized for extenders is not a bad one. I think Dave was looking into doing something similar if I'm not mistaken and certainly some other guys as well.

Shouldn't the processor speed be plenty for an extender source? If someone could point me to someone who's tried this I would be grateful. I should note I am talking about running *at most* 2 extenders simultaneously. Also I would probably be adding an ssd pretty soon.

Just as a data point, I ran a "headless" media center setup for a period of time as a test. I ran WMC in a Hyper-V virtual machine with only xbox 360 extenders at the TV's. It was not an HP microserver, but I don't think it would matter much - serving the extenders is more about disk I/O than CPU.

Everything worked fine, but I ultimately build an HTPC because I wanted a blu-ray player and also wanted the nice Netflix app on MC.

Just as a data point, I ran a "headless" media center setup for a period of time as a test. I ran WMC in a Hyper-V virtual machine with only xbox 360 extenders at the TV's. It was not an HP microserver, but I don't think it would matter much - serving the extenders is more about disk I/O than CPU.

Everything worked fine, but I ultimately build an HTPC because I wanted a blu-ray player and also wanted the nice Netflix app on MC.

You ran headless (I'll avoid the obvious jokes). But, your server did have video capability: i.e. you could connect a monitor to it if needed?

I'm curious about running windows 7 as a guest os on WHS using virtualbox or something like that. -snip-

I realize you're considering other options now but Check the show notes and the podcast 180 where Dave Jim & John talk about using VB on top of WHS2011 http://homeservershow.com/the-home-server-show-180.html

Like JMWills I had no issue streaming from a VM on the N40L but my host and other VM's were not all that demanding of the CPU and I am using a SSD for the Host if that made any difference. It could be a different story if you have some serious work going on elsewhere with a lot of crunching and Disk I/O.