RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Shoop

"The dynamic DNS information can not be updated"

Shoop

Everything has been running fine until 8:23 pm last night when my launchpad icon turned yellow and this message popped up. Everything is working fine. Backups, remote login, server access and file sharing all work fine. I did a repair under server settings>remote web access. It came back with two errors

1. stating my router was not set up properly and

2. it could not connect to the dns service provider.

I rechecked the router settings and everything is fine. i can remote in to the server, access the interent from the server so i don't think the router is the problem.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem?

ikon

I think Jim Collison mentioned that OpenDNS can be an issue with WHS. Are you using that by any chance?

cvscorp

Yes, I saw that! (and nothing seems wrong)

I think the MS DDNS server that serves the .homeserver.com domain name for all of us must have burped!

Shoop

ikon- no i'm not using OpenDNS that I know of.

cvscorp- did your problem start last night?

jmwills

Someone else started a similar thread about this and there was some activity this week with Microsoft migrating the Office Live domains but all I can say is that I have not seen any issues with mine.

kcormier

I had this error for the last couple days - remote access was working fine - just cleared today.

jmwills

I think this is a false positive. I saw this on one of my servers overseas and everything is working just fine.

cvscorp

Nope, just saw it as an alert in WHSv2 at eight or so yesterday.

I'm confused. What does "OpenDNS" have to do with this? (I'm certianly willing to learn here)

Anyone using WHSv2 RA takes a Microsoft "Dynamic DNS Name", and for WHSv1, TZO or an HP given domain name from GoDaddy, which as far as I know, is not connected in any way to OpenDNS's services. <(Unless you are specifically running their services)

All four are "in and of themselves" Dynamic DNS services.

In other words, they keep track of the roll in your IP when it changes <(your IP is given by your internet provider and can change). All of these, including OpenDNS, will keep up with the changes to your IP, but as far as I can determine, OpenDNS did not play a roll here.

"OpenDNS is a Domain Name System (DNS) resolution service. OpenDNS extends DNS adding features such as misspelling correction, phishing protection, and optional content filtering. It provides an ad-supported service[2][3] "showing relevant ads when we [show] search results" and a paid advertisement-free service."

It is the "MS Dynamic DNS" which gives us the homeserver.com domain name, <(It's actually a Windows Live domain service) and that DDNS is the one that burped. I checked and MS is moving some "Windows Live" and "Office 365" stuff around on their servers. I suspect they are the ones responsible for this error.

In any event, it's nothing to worry about. My WHS logs (I have some four years worth), show this occurance some twenty two times in the last four years.

Hope this helps!

ikon

I don't know all the ins and outs of the OpenDNS issue(s), only that setting up WHS to use it as the default DNS provider can cause some problems.

I wasn't aware that OpenDNS is a DDNS provider.