RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Media Center Add-in for Windows 8 Explained

Greg Welch

I look forward to all the goodness of media center to be rebuilt into metro tiles, somebody with this talent please step up. hint hint (mark @ RecordTVHD) for one

Wow,

There is absolutely no value in upgrading your HTPC to Windows 8 if you play local content as I do. What I see is HTPC users being forced to stay with windows 7 for local playback or being forced to upgrade to pro, buy the media pack, then go off and but a third part solution such as TMT to give you BD support. This is a very poor upgrade for home media users. I will probably keep Win 7 on my HTPC and only upgrade the others.

I'm not sure we can say that yet pcdoc. I agree that WMC being absent will affect some people, but I think it might be a little like WHS2011 - Drive Extender in that the other media features of Win8 may make it a compelling upgrade despite the absence of WMC. That may not turn out to be the case, but I think it's too early to call at this point.

All this news makes me glad I made the switch to mediaportal a few years back!

I'm not sure we can say that yet pcdoc. I agree that WMC being absent will affect some people, but I think it might be a little like WHS2011 - Drive Extender in that the other media features of Win8 may make it a compelling upgrade despite the absence of WMC. That may not turn out to be the case, but I think it's too early to call at this point.

I certainly think the upgrade to windows 8 will be awesome but in terms of an HTPC it is more questionable. It is not so much that media center is absent as much as it will not provide the extra value I was hoping for. "Depending" on the pricing, we will have to pay extra for something that appears to bring you back to the status quo. The fantasies of BD or MKV playback will not be realized without the use of 3rd party software, hence, at this point we do not gain much (as an HTPC user of course not the desktop). You are right, it is bit early to cry but I had my heart set on some enhancements. We will know soon.

WMP is a horrible experience so I can't believe anyone uses it. I may want to meet those that do in person as they must be as old as the dinosaurs. ;)

I have never watched an actual DVD in my HTPC's. I have watched a blu-ray in my HTPC though. In fact, I just did it Saturday night.

As far as I am concerned, as long as they support W7 as long as they did XP, I am fine with the direction.

Well, I will continue to use Windows 7 for my HTPC and see how things shake out with the Windows 8. My HTPC is mainly used to view TV (live and recorded). DVD/BD are watched via my PS3.

Well, I will continue to use Windows 7 for my HTPC and see how things shake out with the Windows 8. My HTPC is mainly used to view TV (live and recorded). DVD/BD are watched via my PS3.

Well yeah. My only contention is that it's too early to write Win8 off. We just don't know enough yet, so let's not jump to conclusions.

My Plan is to use Windows 8 in my HTPC's , yes that means possibly buying the WMC pack.

As programmers recreate whats in Media Center for the Metro Interface, at some point i wont need to use it.

but meanwhile i get to use the improvements built into W8.

another thought:

As i already own Total Media Theatre 5 pro, that has the codecs required to play Blurays and DVD's ,and MKV, WTV i may not even need the WMC pack

only problem is i havent had the time to test this on the latest W8 consumer release http://www.arcsoft.c...e/techspec.html