RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Disk Defragmenter issue

dvn

I'm repairing a friend's laptop - Compal NBLB2. Nice, i5 + ATI 5650 graphics. I've narrowed it down to driver issues causing the random lockups.

Moving ahead, I cloned a fresh installation of W7 Home from an SSD to an HDD. In Disk Defragmenter, when I click "Select disks..." under "Configure schedule...", I see no disks listed. I do see a check in (Select all disks). This is the "Disk Defragmenter: Select Disks for Schedule" dialog box that I'm talking about. The problem is that this is a laptop that I repaired for a friend, and I don't want to redo the installation from scratch just because I initially installed on an SSD. (I was scanning and running tests on the spinning drive which is why I installed to the SSD in the first place. Trying to do 2 things at once. When will I learn? :) )

So far, I've tried the fabled "sfc /scannow" but that turned up nothing.

I've run through the solutions on this web page:

http://answers.micro...&tab=AllReplies

...but nothing there solved the problem. Nice write-up, though.

There is no "dfrg.inf" in Windows\Inf folder. Neither can I find the .dll's mentioned. Not surprisingly, the re-registration or reinstallation of defragmenter as outlined on the page failed because of the missing files.

Unfortunately, I am not open to using a 3rd party defrag app. As I mentioned at the top, this is for a friend so I want as much default Windows stuff as possible to be there.

Has anyone come across this? I know it's a strange one but I thought if anyone has seen it, it'd be you guys.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehard

• dvn

• jmwills

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

It's possibly related to how W7 installation handles SSDs. You know, the settings it alters because it's SSD rather than HDD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

In Disk Defragmenter, when I click "Select disks..." under "Configure schedule...", I see no disks listed.

ikon, the problem is that Disk Defragmenter lists no disks, no hard drives at all, in its schedule. By default, Disk Defragmenter runs weekly on drives listed in the schedule. Since no drives are listed, that's a problem.

On the laptop I'm repairing, I initially performed a fresh installation using a spare SSD (for reasons stated above), then cloned the SSD to an HDD (the laptop's original spinning drive - a 500GB Seagate). As you know, Windows 7 installation configures a few things differently depending on whether it sees an SSD or HDD. For one, it does not list an SSD for a scheduled defrag.

So to me it looks like W7 still thinks it's running on an SSD rather than the HDD I just cloned to, and so it's not listing the drive. I want to get that drive listed in the defrag schedule, like it normally would be if I had installed W7 on a system with an HDD in the first place. (As I said, this is for a friend so I don't want to muck around with 3rd party defrag solutions.)

I can always reinstalled the OS using the HDD. I have the driver situation all straightened out. However, I'm looking for a way to undo the 'SSD configuration' part of the install so that the HDD shows up in the defrag schedule. I'm asking if anyone has actually seen and fixed this issue because I like to understand these things.

It's an illness, I know, but one I apparently share with more than a few here. :)

That one is a little hard to get at. It's running more than likely, you just don't see it. Go to:

Control Panel>Admin Tools>Computer Management (or right click Computer and select Manage)

Go to Scheduled Tasks>Microsoft> Windows>Defrag and see if the Task is enabled. If not you can enable and a predefined task is already there.

Not sure why this is setup this way but I am sure that it has something to do with Win7 being SSD aware. Mine is set to run once a week.

Actually, it is a scheduled task, that is, it's already there in Task Scheduler. I reviewed the task itself, looking for some mention of specific drives. Nada. I assume from comparing the scheduled task on another computer (w/HDD) that disks are not listed in the defrag task. OK. Somewhere else, then. But where?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Go to Explorer, right click the drive, properties and the tools tab. You will be able to see the defrag properties for each volume. A third party defrag tool would not show this behavior, I think. The machines I run a third party tool on all have HDD's.

Have you tried going into the BIOS and switching from IDE to AHCI or vise versus ?

When I did this with WHSv1 and my Microserver in the DVD slot, it allowed to to install SATA drivers, maybe you might get something similar.