RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How can I login to whs 2011 desktop from my win 7 machine?

MarkJohnson

I can't seem to be able to login to my whs2011 desktop from my win 7 ult. x64 machine. I used to be able to in the past, but not this install.

I have moved my N40L server to the corner with only an ethernet cable as I don't have room for another monitor, keyboard, or mouse.

Is there a way to access the server remotely.

I tried the remote web access and dashboard, but they don't let me get to the desktop.

Sorry I don't know enough of the server nomenclature to make sense of the posts on how to do it. Maybe if my allergies weren't acging up I could make more sense of it.

Thanks for any help

-=Mark=-

You should be able to use standard RDP through Win7 Ultimate by inputting the server hostname and then the administrator username and password.

However, if you're looking to add a lot of functionality through the dashboard (but not full desktop view), check out this free addin: I use it, and get a lot of functionality out of it, especially when i'm in a remote location.

http://www.awieco.co.../RemoteLauncher

If you're looking for full desktop functionality from the dashboard, you might want to check out the Advanced Admin Console (not free however)

http://www.home-serv...in-console-2011

Edit: I should add that (as far as i know), you must have RDP functionality (or keyboard/monitor hooked up) to install the addins. So if standard RDP isn't working for you, you may want to hook up the monitor/keyboard once, install the addin(s) and go from there.

Edited by nlitend1

Okay, a little basic trouble shooting is in order. Can you ping the server by both IP and Hostname? Does the server show in the routing table of your DHCP server (local router).

If yes to all, flush the DNS cache of the Win7 machine by running this from a command prompt. ipconfig /flushdns

Okay, a little basic trouble shooting is in order. Can you ping the server by both IP and Hostname? Does the server show in the routing table of your DHCP server (local router).

If yes to all, flush the DNS cache of the Win7 machine by running this from a command prompt. ipconfig /flushdns

Reading my mind again, eh? :D

You know I had to do that....after all, you set it up and I just swung the bat