RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HD failure, 'Not Added', cannot remove

theseeker

I have a HP MediaSmart server, and all drive lights are 'blue', but every once in a while, the server just becomes completely unresponsive and I have to reboot it, which sometimes takes about 2-3 hours to come back up.

When I was looking at the "Server Storage" tab, all my 4 drives used to say 'Healthy', and did not show any issues.

I installed the "Home Server SMART" extension, and it showed that 2 drives had some bad sector reallocations happening, but none of the drives showed any predicted failure. However one of the drives had 200+ pending reallocations, so I gathered I buy a new HD to replace the failing disk.

However, I have 4 disks 2TB, 1.5TB, 2TB, 2TB, and I only have 700 GB free. So I turned off a couple of 'duplications' but the free space did not go down.

Now I had to reboot a couple of times, and each time it takes forever (2-3 hours) until all drives come back up, and the server become accessible.

And now one of the drives (actually not the one with 200+ pending reallocations), shows as 'Not added', but still part of the storage pool. When I try to remove the drive, it says that there is not enough space to remove the drive. So I bought a 2TB external drive, and added it to the storage pool, but still it says: not enough room to remove. I gather that something got corrupted, and it is not sure if it is added or not.

I have SpinRite, should I remove that drive and run spinrite on it, and then try to see if it comes back as 'Healthy' so that I can remove it? Or is there any other option so that I can remove this drive that shows as 'Not added' but still is part of my pool and has 1.5 TB of my data on it.

Any help would be GREATLY apprechiated!

Thanks so much.

A SpinRite run at Level 2 could well put that drive into usable shape. In fact, you may want to run it on both of those drives. There are no guarantees of course, but I would not be at all surprised.

It's been almost 24hrs, and I'm still stuck at removing the 2TB HDD. Once that is done, I can replace it with the new one, and then shut down to run SpinRite on the failing 1.5TB disk. However, what if the status remains 'Not added', how can I repair this so that homeserver can see it fully again?

Well, if the drive has sector issues, you may never be able to remove it. Is it possible for you to cancel the removal and shut down the server? If so, then you could remove the suspect drive(s) and SpinRite it/them. Just make sure you do not start up the server again until the SpinRiting is complete and the drive(s) have been reinstalled.