RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HDD Upgrade how to transfer OS to new 120GB SSD?

thevolt5

Hello guys ive managed to get hold of a new SSD 120GB OCZ Technology Agility 3 SSD Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive, im currently running the OS WHS2011 off a standard 3.5" hard drive 2TB Western Digital WD20EARS from the on-board SATA (Asus P8H67-M LE REV 3.0 / P8H67-M LE REV 3.0) and my other x5 2TB HDD drives are linked connected to my Highpoint Rocket RAID RR2720SGL so the OS is just running from the on-board SATA ,My question is what is the easiest way to transfer the OS to the new SSD without losing any of the OS profile settings and my RAID files etc.... Without having to do a fresh clean install on to the SSD.?

The most important thing is that I don’t lose my RAID configuration and all the files? Even if I do a complete new install of WHS2011 will my RAID still appear as normal?

I know windows 7 has a Create a System Image in Windows 7 for backup does WHS2011 anything like this built into OS ?

Edited by thevolt5

You should not lose your RR array at all. Many RR owners in these forums have attested that they have successfully reinstalled an OS and connected a RR array to it, or even transferred a RR card and its array to another computer. The important thing is that the Windows OS is not on the array.

WHS2011, unlike WHSv1, does have a Server Backup feature. It will create a VHD backup of the OS, but, I believe the consensus is that this feature should not be used to restore the OS to an SSD. pcdoc says that the program used to restore from a backup needs to be SSD-aware, and that only a few programs currently are, Acronis being one of them.

Hello guys ive managed to get hold of a new SSD 120GB OCZ Technology Agility 3 SSD Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive, im currently running the OS WHS2011 off a standard 3.5" hard drive 2TB Western Digital WD20EARS from the on-board SATA (Asus P8H67-M LE REV 3.0 / P8H67-M LE REV 3.0) and my other x5 2TB HDD drives are linked connected to my Highpoint Rocket RAID RR2720SGL so the OS is just running from the on-board SATA ,My question is what is the easiest way to transfer the OS to the new SSD without losing any of the OS profile settings and my RAID files etc.... Without having to do a fresh clean install on to the SSD.?

As others have stated, the safest thing is you raid. Just unplug the card when you are messing around just to be safe. The data will come right back after you clone or re-install and load the drivers. I used Acronis as ikon stated as it is fast and SSD aware. Assuming you have nothing on the "D" drive, just clone the whole drive adjusting the partition size to be 60 + 60. or just clone the "C" partition. Alternatively, you can create a full back up, boot from the recovery USB created with Acronis and do a restore (both c and d if you wish). and you will be good to go. Only use the most current Aconris (2012).

Okay thanks again so best thing is to just disconect the raid card from the pci slot do i need to do anything before this?

which version of Acronis do i need as they do a few different version titles? Is there any alternatives that are compatable with SSD maybe a freeware option?

Okay thanks again so best thing is to just disconect the raid card from the pci slot do i need to do anything before this?

which version of Acronis do i need as they do a few different version titles? Is there any alternatives that are compatable with SSD maybe a freeware option?

Just pull the PCI card out if you are looking for absolute Safety. I used Acronis True Image 2012. You do not need the plus pack.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

• 4 years later...

The hard drive on my windows 2011 server is starting to go south.  Some time back I purchased a Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB SSD SATA 6Gb/s compatible with 3Gb/s, and I would like to use it to replace the drive which has my operating system on it.  The drive which I would like to transfer from is a Seagate 2TB SATA 6Gb/s HDD with a 64 MB cashe.  The drive is partitioned.  The C:\ partition has 60 GB and the D:\ partition has 176 TB.  

I noticed that Acronis True Image 2012 was the software recommended to transfer the operating system from one drive to the next.  And the latest Acronis software, True Image 2016 says: "Acronis True Image 2016 does not allow the cloning of a a single partition; only cloning of an entire disk is possible." Given some of the responses above, this must be a new restriction.  The Acronis True Image 2016 information also states that, "Cloning to a disk with different logical sector size is not supported."  The sector size on the Seagate is 512 bytes/sector.  I have read that the Samsung EVO also has 512 bytes/sector, but have not connected it to verify that fact.  Is this still the software which you recommend?  I ask because neither of these problems were mentioned above, and PCDoc even mentions cloning just the C:\ partition.  

The Samsung 500 MB hard drive comes with: "Samsung Data Migration software for an easy and simple upgrade <_<," along with a SATA to USB 3.0 connector.  The box also mentions Samsung Magician software for SSD performance management.  There is no mention of any limitations with the Samsung Data Migration software.

Questions:

1.  Has anyone used the Samsung Data Migration software?  Does it handle the problems Acronis True Image 2016 mentions?  That is will it allow me to clone only a single partition, and if it turns out to be a "surprise issue" allow me to move the data if the source and target disks don't have equal sector size?

2.  If the Samsung software does not address the partition issue which I suspect it may not, do you know of any server software that will allow me to just copy just the C:\ drive?  Since most of the D:\ partition is empty,  I "think" that I can "resized proportionally" to fit the entire disk onto the Samsung.  The cost of the Acronis True Image 2016 software is reasonable for a one time use which is probably all I will get out of it.  I was just wondering whether recommendations have changed since 2012.  Thanks

To Moderator: As the original post is so old, I am concerned that this may not be the correct location for my question.  If I have posted this question in the wrong location, please feel free to move it.  Just let me know where please.  Thank you.

I forgot to mention the reason I want to transfer only the C:\ drive partition to the Samsung 500 MB.  The D:\ partition seems to be where the problems with the drive reside.  When I run stable bit pool, it tells me that the D:\ drive is unhealthy.  When I try to run stable bit scanner, the dashboard crashes.  I would like to move only the C:\ partition to avoid moving the problem to the new drive.  I would also like to use all of the new drive for the C:\ drive, because I would like to start using the server as an application server for my two Surface Pro 4; 256s.  I will need the additional space to load office, quicken and the application server software.

I could drop the D:\ drive from the pool as stable bit pool is still working.  I am just not sure how that would assist with the move.  In fact before I start any move, I will probably drop as many physical data drives from the pool as the amount of data will let me in an attempt to simplify figuring out which drive is physically which and reduce possible problems with the moving software.  

Thanks for any input you might be willing to provide.  I really appreciate having some experienced advice before I start playing.