RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
wyerd

Web Access & Remote Desktop Questions

wyerd

Hi All,

Can anyone explain how I can configure my WHS 2011 server’s Remote Access to accept my own Domain Name? As it’s already setup with 1&1, I don’t want to go with the choices that’s given when you go through the Remote Access Wizard.

I can’t also use Remote Desktop over the Internet as I suspect that it’s due to the above certificate problem. I get error "....the Remote Desktop Server gateway address requested and the certificate subject name do not match". It’s crazy as using WHS v1 was so easy.

Thanks.

Dave.

ikon

I wasn't aware you could do your own domain name. You had it working on v1? I virtually never use Remote Web Access so it doesn't really affect me, but I am curious.

I do have Remote Desktop working. The 'trick' to it was getting my router configured to forward RDP packets to my WHS. It's really not hard but it is required.

texasPI

Yeah, would love to know how, too. When I go through the wizard and put in my already owned domain, it gives me an option to purchase it from enom or godaddy.

Michael Brown

I was under the impression that if you wanted to use your own domain name, it had to be purchased from a WHS 2011 supported service provider (GoDaddy is one) or that you had to transfer your domain name to one of the supported providers.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/existing-domain-name-2.aspx

I had one from GoDaddy that worked well up until it stopped working. After numerous calls to GoDaddy support they indicated some URL had changed recently and was preventing the wizard from getting the certificate working (knowing nothing about SSL certificates, I don't know if this was actually the case or not). Finally, I just set one up with microsoft using the wizard and all has been well since.

ikon

Thanks very much for the link; very helpful. Would be even more helpful if it included a link to a current list of approved registrars. I left feedback to that effect. :P

EDIT: apparently, eNomCentral and GoDaddy are the only 2 registrars available for WHS2011 at the moment.

yodafett

It is possible, first do you have your own cert or are you going to use a self signed cert via selfssl.exe

setup a homeserver.com domain and test it once it works go release the domain and use selfssl.exe to create a self signed ssl. you might get an error on the install if so you will need to go delete the ssl (sorry i can't remember the directory but you can find it easy the path by googling the error if it shows in selfssl. I had to do this with the my recent install of whs2011.

The basic text of the command is. Selfssl is readily available from MS.

"SelfSSL.exe /CN=domain.com /V:365" into the command prompt and press "Enter." Replace "domain.com" with your network domain name..

Now that it is done the bad thing is everytime you reboot you will need to redo it. Also since it is a selfssl you will need to install the cert before you sign in remotely to the root domain certs of any PC you are remoting into

ikon

It is possible, first do you have your own cert or are you going to use a self signed cert via selfssl.exe

setup a homeserver.com domain and test it once it works go release the domain and use selfssl.exe to create a self signed ssl. you might get an error on the install if so you will need to go delete the ssl (sorry i can't remember the directory but you can find it easy the path by googling the error if it shows in selfssl. I had to do this with the my recent install of whs2011.

The basic text of the command is. Selfssl is readily available from MS.

"SelfSSL.exe /CN=domain.com /V:365" into the command prompt and press "Enter." Replace "domain.com" with your network domain name..

Now that it is done the bad thing is everytime you reboot you will need to redo it. Also since it is a selfssl you will need to install the cert before you sign in remotely to the root domain certs of any PC you are remoting into

So, as long as your have a real domain name, and your router is set up to forward packets to your WHS, you can actually have your own custome domain name without going through the approved registrars; have I go that right?

yodafett

Yes though on a reboot of the server i have to reapply the ssl for the rdp to work correctly. I have an old 100 lease domain from network solutions that i use a selfssl for

ikon

I wonder if it's possible to automate the reapplication of the ssl, perhaps using a Startup Task.

yodafett

It's not the ssl something in the hss config when you let go of the homeserver.com address resets on reboot.