RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Diceis

What cable ?

Diceis

Hi guys, I ordered a Cat5e Network Cable and was going to wire up and noticed they wasnt the usual Brown/Orange/Blue and Green but the below picture instead.

Why is this ?

wp000642.jpg

yodafett

It is just a newer color coding system with the light color replacing the white/stripe color for easier recognition.

Dave

Doesn't look twisted at all though. Does patch cable come untwisted like this? I prefer solid over stranded for everything I do so I never by "patch." All my ends are also for solid cable.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Doesn't look twisted at all though. Does patch cable come untwisted like this? I prefer solid over stranded for everything I do so I never by "patch." All my ends are also for solid cable.

What is solid cable?

Dave

Solid CAT cable is exactly that. A solid copper wire. Eight copper wires making 4 pairs. Each pair is twisted which helps alleviate crosstalk over the wires. The ends that you crimp on the cable are also different. A solid cable end has a 3 pronged contact that pierces the plastic wrapper of the cable and hugs it. It looks like a little "U" shape. Two contacts on on side and a middle contact on the other side.

Stranded ends pierce the middle of the stranded cable and embed inside it. Since it's fine stranded copper wiring it makes good contact that way. It's called patch cable because it's stranded and easily guided and shaped inside wiring closets and such. A patch cable goes from your switch to the patch panel. A solid cable would be terminated to the back of the patch panel and run through the building/house to the workstation's wall termination. Another patch cable would be used at that point to connect it to the actual PC/network device. Some call it "riser" cable.

I'm sure there are pictures somewhere to better illustrate the differences. Jump in if I missed something or got something wrong.

yodafett

the copper is solid like a coax cable, stranded copper is easier to bend for cornersbut not as good on punch downs and on longer runs

ikon

These days, many of the RJ45 connectors are usable for both solid and stranded cable. I think it was inevitable that this would happen as manufacturers looked for ways to streamline production and reduce costs.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I thought all of it was solid that is why I was confused. I will have to look for som pictures of stranded cable.

ikon

I thought all of it was solid that is why I was confused. I will have to look for som pictures of stranded cable.

Most premade patch cables you buy are stranded. Solid-core is used for 'riser' runs. There's no rule about that of course, but that's generally what you see in most installations.