RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N40L storage expansion options

jazzerjay

Do you WHS 2011 guys keep data on your OS drive or use it strictly for OS data?

OMG no, no data on the OS drive; strictly the OS.

OS only.

Thanks JMWills

OMG no, no data on the OS drive; strictly the OS.

ikon, you slay me. I ALWAYS hated when v1 would put data on the OS drive. As best practice here at work, we basically have 3 partitions for a server; OS, Apps, and Data. I was just curious based on current experience at home. Thanks!

As best practice here at work, we basically have 3 partitions for a server; OS, Apps, and Data.

I like the way you guys do it.

Using the cfg.ini to install WHS2011 to max the OS drive during install seems to be popular. Check out http://titled required.com for a tool

Freaking iPod is messing with my URL

I think I posted this before, but my v1 has three 2TB WD Green 5400RPM and the 2TB Hitachi 5300RPM both 32MB cache but 3.0gb/s vs 6 gb/s for the hitachi. I guess my question is do I even bother with those drives or order say two (or three) of the 3TB ones like you mentioned Joe? And how big should I put my OS on? I've got those 250GBs that came with the N40ls that I'm using for testing, but I suppose I could use one of those. Then I could take the WD Greens and put them in an external enclosure I suppose. Lots of configurations for sure. I could go with new 2TB ones as well and simply populate the other N40l.

(snip)

My dilemma, like yours, is that I would like to rip more video’s to fit on my EX-487 but even with 4 2TB drives in it – it was getting too full with file duplication turned on for everything.

We know what the Full FoShay solution would be – which is an option that can be our long-term target.

My stop-gap solution isn’t elegant but I turned off duplication for some video folders and have used Allway Sync to keep the video folders backed up to drives I’ve passed thru to my VM of WHS2011 – of course the problem with a 2011 in VM is the lack of USB pass thru :(.

I guess the best place to start is to first list a number of possible options (I'm sure there are many others).

1. The Full FoShay.

Check PCDoc’s write-up on his system’s design and backup solutions – that’s the way I would “like” to go in the long run but can’t in the short term

2. Keep your V1 box with the 4 2TB drives (more about this later)

• Load WHS2011 into your 2nd box
  • Put your OS on one of the 250GB drives you have and mount it in the ODD bay – this is just good practice (IMHO) and it gives you the option in the future if you want to clone your OS to a SSD or just something faster than the Seagate stock drive – keeping our options open
  • Put 2 2TB drives in Slots 1 & 2 in Mirror for your “critical data” drives (you’ll need a backup solution for these drives) – probably should make these “fast” drives if you can.
  • Put 2 3TB or 2 4TB drives in Slots 3 & 4 but not in Mirror (I’d make them both the same so you “could” mirror them later if you want) – use Allway Sync to make backups of these drives to you V1 Server – if your V1 Server starts to fill up add more drives to it (ODD bay, eSATA, USB drives, Drobo$, who cares about speed, this is your backup) – the 3TB Seagate drives are faster than the 3TB WD drives and the 4TB Seagate drives are pretty fast too. You could buy these one at a time and take advantage of dropping prices/sales.
  • Add 2 USB 3.0 Cards and add 4 4TB external drives
  • Plan a back-up solution for your OS & Critical Data – maybe an external USB 2.0 drive would work.
  • Make sure you have a good CAT6 cable connection between your 2011 & V1 boxes and have them is separate parts of the house.

ALTERNATE IDEA

• Instead of adding the 3 & 4TB drives to Slots 3&4 or external 4TB drives add a 2720 in one of the PCIe slots and add a RAID 5 of 3TB drives in an external case – not very elegant and not very pretty – and still back it up to your V1 machine

I’m assuming we are trying to work with the 2 MicroServers as part of the solution. With HD prices still elevated (but slowly falling) I’m going slow on my hard drive purchases – since my shows are on DVD’s also I don’t feel rushed and so feel like I can take my time.

Other ALTERNATE IDEA

Wait. There’s no rush. HD’s are getting bigger and dropping in price. Boxes are getting cheaper and more powerful. Drobo may have a sale. Insight may have another big sale. Newegg always has some kind of sale going on!

Hope this helps -- and maybe it will generate a lot of additional alternate solutions outside of the box!

My dilemma, like yours, is that I would like to rip more video’s to fit on my EX-487 but even with 4 2TB drives in it – it was getting too full with file duplication turned on for everything.

We know what the Full FoShay solution would be – which is an option that can be our long-term target.

My stop-gap solution isn’t elegant but I turned off duplication for some video folders and have used Allway Sync to keep the video folders backed up to drives I’ve passed thru to my VM of WHS2011 – of course the problem with a 2011 in VM is the lack of USB pass thru :(.

I guess the best place to start is to first list a number of possible options (I'm sure there are many others).

1. The Full FoShay.

Check PCDoc’s write-up on his system’s design and backup solutions – that’s the way I would “like” to go in the long run but can’t in the short term

2. Keep your V1 box with the 4 2TB drives (more about this later)

• Put your OS on one of the 250GB drives you have and mount it in the ODD bay – this is just good practice (IMHO) and it gives you the option in the future if you want to clone your OS to a SSD or just something faster than the Seagate stock drive – keeping our options open
  • Put 2 2TB drives in Slots 1 & 2 in Mirror for your “critical data” drives (you’ll need a backup solution for these drives) – probably should make these “fast” drives if you can.
  • Put 2 3TB or 2 4TB drives in Slots 3 & 4 but not in Mirror (I’d make them both the same so you “could” mirror them later if you want) – use Allway Sync to make backups of these drives to you V1 Server – if your V1 Server starts to fill up add more drives to it (ODD bay, eSATA, USB drives, Drobo$, who cares about speed, this is your backup) – the 3TB Seagate drives are faster than the 3TB WD drives and the 4TB Seagate drives are pretty fast too. You could buy these one at a time and take advantage of dropping prices/sales.
  • Plan a back-up solution for your OS & Critical Data – maybe an external USB 2.0 drive would work.
  • Make sure you have a good CAT6 cable connection between your 2011 & V1 boxes and have them is separate parts of the house.

ALTERNATE IDEA

• Instead of adding the 3 & 4TB drives to Slots 3&4 or external 4TB drives add a 2720 in one of the PCIe slots and add a RAID 5 of 3TB drives in an external case – not very elegant and not very pretty – and still back it up to your V1 machine

I’m assuming we are trying to work with the 2 MicroServers as part of the solution. With HD prices still elevated (but slowly falling) I’m going slow on my hard drive purchases – since my shows are on DVD’s also I don’t feel rushed and so feel like I can take my time.

Other ALTERNATE IDEA

Wait. There’s no rush. HD’s are getting bigger and dropping in price. Boxes are getting cheaper and more powerful. Drobo may have a sale. Insight may have another big sale. Newegg always has some kind of sale going on!

Hope this helps -- and maybe it will generate a lot of additional alternate solutions outside of the box!

Another variant of Option 2 I ment to include yesterday --

Still Keep your V1 box with the 4 2TB drives

• Skip putting your OS on a seperate drive -- instead put your OS on the Mirror pair in slots 1&2 and use your ODD bay for a 2TB Green drive that backs up your critical data and OS off of the mirror pair in slots 1&2. If you use something fast like a WD Black with 64M cache for the 2TB's in slots 1 & 2 it's going to be a lot faster for your OS than the stock Seagate 250's. This closes or at least makes tougher a SSD option in the future but you have an automatic critical data backup solution in the box and your eSATA is still free for addition add on storage outside the box.
  • Put 2 2TB drives in Slots 1 & 2 in Mirror for your OS & “critical data” drives -- WD Black's or better/faster.

Everything else is pretty much the same.................

• Plan an additional back-up solution for your OS & Critical Data – maybe an external USB 2.0 drive would work (you're still going to want some sort of off site rotation IMHO).