RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N40L storage expansion options

jazzerjay

Moderator has split this topic off from this original http://homeserversho...all-disk-space/

Discussion is concerning using the N40L Microserver with WHS2011 as the OS.

Thanks to both of you for the advice! My fear of moving to WHS 2011 has been overshadowed by the slow responses whilst streaming videos to the different extenders in my house. However, I suppose I could be having a different issue altogether, perhaps networking. The problem all stems from me trying to pull a TV series off of DVD. I know, I know, DVDs aren't supposed to last forever, I just made them for archival purposes and didn't feel like "acquiring" the series again. The problem? I have well over 150 DVDs full of tv shows and such. Simple math would be 4.5 GB times 100 is 4.5 TB (obviously not a perfect sum, but you get the obvious problem.) Currently I'm running four 2TB drives on my V1 and I haven't even started copying data from those data DVDs. Perhaps another post should be started somewhere? Anyway, more later I suppose. Thanks again guys!

Edited by cskenney
moderator split topic

I do......every episode of JAG, NCIS, 24, CSI, Law & Order, Andy Griffith, Burn Notice....shall I keep going?

I don't do it very week or month but having down time while deployed caught me up on a lot of TV. I can't even keep up with the shows I DVR on the PC every week.

Thanks to both of you for the advice! My fear of moving to WHS 2011 has been overshadowed by the slow responses whilst streaming videos to the different extenders in my house. However, I suppose I could be having a different issue altogether, perhaps networking. The problem all stems from me trying to pull a TV series off of DVD. I know, I know, DVDs aren't supposed to last forever, I just made them for archival purposes and didn't feel like "acquiring" the series again. The problem? I have well over 150 DVDs full of tv shows and such. Simple math would be 4.5 GB times 100 is 4.5 TB (obviously not a perfect sum, but you get the obvious problem.) Currently I'm running four 2TB drives on my V1 and I haven't even started copying data from those data DVDs. Perhaps another post should be started somewhere? Anyway, more later I suppose. Thanks again guys!

Understood. Running out of space on my V1 also because of DVD's I want to copy to it. Looking for an alternate solution too ...........

Understood. Running out of space on my V1 also because of DVD's I want to copy to it. Looking for an alternate solution too ...........

I think I posted this before, but my v1 has three 2TB WD Green 5400RPM and the 2TB Hitachi 5300RPM both 32MB cache but 3.0gb/s vs 6 gb/s for the hitachi. I guess my question is do I even bother with those drives or order say two (or three) of the 3TB ones like you mentioned Joe? And how big should I put my OS on? I've got those 250GBs that came with the N40ls that I'm using for testing, but I suppose I could use one of those. Then I could take the WD Greens and put them in an external enclosure I suppose. Lots of configurations for sure. I could go with new 2TB ones as well and simply populate the other N40l.

Just curious, do you actually go back and watch old TV series?

Actually, we do. I have a friend of mine that is going through all of the House series and I'm watching Season 10 of Smallville. Both of my kids frequently watch Boy Meets World and Gilmore Girls. Do you WHS 2011 guys keep data on your OS drive or use it strictly for OS data?