RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N40L assistance needed: Can't Install/Run Win Server 2008 R2 or Win 7, Vista x64 installs fine

A Murder of Crows

Is anyone having issues running Server 2008 R2 x64 or Windows 7 on these? i got mine to take vista x64 just fine, but Server 2008 R2 and windows 7 fail to install, and Hiren's Boot CD's version of Mini Windows 7 also fails to load.

i've replaced ram (stock 2gb replaced with 8gb, went back to the original 2gb for this when issues started), video card (both on board VGA and a 6450 card tried), and hard drive, and nothing works. I've flashed the modded bios and went back to the stock bios when i ran into this problem.

i tried installing with usb, but it failed, so i did it via DVD. i thought it might have been my disc, so i burnt a new disc using different media and a different burner on a different machine.

again nothing works.

on install attempts, i get a BSOD stating:

STOP: 0x0000007E with four parameters, blaming ACPI.SYS

i am at a loss and really upset at the moment.

Edited by A Murder of Crows

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jazzerjay

• jmwills

• ikon

• A Murder of Crows

Top Posters In This Topic

Many people have installed Server 2008 R2 (including myself) with no issues. In fact, I initially installed it when I only had the original 2GB Ram and the original 250GB hard drive.

I was going to say you may have a bad motherboard but you mentioned you got Vista x64 to install.

The only changes I have made to my box is I modded the BIOS. Later I upgraded the memory to 8GB.

Maybe with Vista installed you could run some hardware tests to see if it can find a problem.

Well stupid me, i lost the box and packaging already, so NewEgg won't RMA it. I get to deal with HP instead now. ugh.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Well stupid me, i lost the box and packaging already, so NewEgg won't RMA it. I get to deal with HP instead now. ugh.

Thanks for the advice guys!

You might be surprised how HP actually handles your RMA. I've done many and since this is a brand new piece of equipment, they should be able to help you. However, they may send you back to Newegg. You said that Newegg won't RMA it without the original packaging? That's odd, never had that problem before as I don't keep boxes past 30 days. (for the most part) But like ikon said, keep us posted please as I'm sure a few of us are more than curious.

As odd as this sounds, if one OS will install and others will not, the only way to rule out a corrupt iso image is to try a virtual install somewhere else. This will verify the integrity of the iso image and at this point I believe that is where your issue lies.

oops. Well, good luck. Let us know how it works out.

Will do!

You might be surprised how HP actually handles your RMA. I've done many and since this is a brand new piece of equipment, they should be able to help you. However, they may send you back to Newegg. You said that Newegg won't RMA it without the original packaging? That's odd, never had that problem before as I don't keep boxes past 30 days. (for the most part) But like ikon said, keep us posted please as I'm sure a few of us are more than curious.

I actually wouldn't be too surprised. I used to be an HP Case Manager for both their 6J and their KV lines (Consumer Desktops and Notebooks). The business side of things always got better treatment than the consumer side.

Called HP, did an hour of troubleshooting/waiting on hold. I finally convinced the guy to send me a new motherboard. it's getting overnighted now and should be here in the morning from what he said.

Yeah, newegg said no joy. It was NewEgg business, but i doubt it makes a difference.

As odd as this sounds, if one OS will install and others will not, the only way to rule out a corrupt iso image is to try a virtual install somewhere else. This will verify the integrity of the iso image and at this point I believe that is where your issue lies.

I would go with this possibility, except that it wasn't just a single ISO that was a problem. it was also Hiren's Boot CD 15, with mini windows 7. I have this odd feeling that it has something to do with the kernel that win7/server 2008 R2 is based on, and that the board or proc can't deal with it. in my research, i read that someone else had similar problems with the x64 version of something, but switching to the x32 worked fine.

The last thing i remember reading was that the program used to create the bios USB upgrader should be run on 32-bit windows. Unfortunately for me, i don't have anything that actually runs 32-bit anymore, and ultimately, this line of thinking made little sense to me, but i'm pretty sure that i'll be trying that too when the time comes.

Thanks everyone.

I run 2008R2 x64 on mine and have no issues whatsoever. Most, if not all, x64 processors can handle any x86 programs so more and more I think you have a bad machine.