RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Question about Tranquil PC SSM

roddy

Hi all,

Does anyone know if this device will fit in a floppy drive bay? I know it's a standard 3.5" format, but usually HDDs are not made to stick out of the front like an FDD is supposed to do.

I think you probably know where I am going with this. I want to mount this in my WHS case where the FDD should go, so that if one of the drives goes bad, I can see the LED indicators, I can pull and replace the drive, all without opening the case or even shutting down. This would be pretty much the holy grail for me, at least until WHS is able to back itself up.

Any information would be appreciated, especially if you happen to have an SSM yourself and can test it out.

roddy,

have a look at

http://www.tranquilpc-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Safe_Server_Module1.html

and here

http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2010/02/05/the-tranquil-pc-ssm-and-other-windows-home-servers/

and here as well

http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2010/02/05/a-quick-look-at-the-tranquil-pc-ssm-safe-server-module/

from what I can see it's the same size as a 3.5 disk drive. Since I do have a TranquilPC, I would say it should fit...but that all depends on your case. You should be able to send an e-mail to them and ask for specifications via

http://www.tranquilpc.co.uk/contact_us.htm

roddy,

Not sure if you can hot swap the drives in the SSM module. I looked at their website, but didn't see anything about swapping one of the drives while still powered on.

Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like there are a lot more unanswered questions so maybe I'll just shelve the idea for now while I do a little more research.

On that topic, does anyone know a better way to handle system drive failure than reinstall? I'm just planning for the future, and I realized I am very dependent on that box to just work. If a system drive fails, it will be down until I find some time to reinstall. That will easily take one night to get up and running, and another to get back up to full spec.

So far I've had two data drives go bad, so I think it's a matter of time before the wrong drive goes down and out. I'd really like to find an answer to this before that happens.

roddy

I agree with you. I too am concerned and have been putting off doing anything about it because I really hope Vail will be our savior and address this problem.

We will see if we can get our hands on 1 of these dual 2.5 Raid drives.

In the mean time I've been working on building a custom Server Recovery Disk to reduce my down time.

Can you guys post your server hardware specs in your Signature, please.

Hi John,

The Icy Dock MB992 you mentioned in the other topic looked pretty suitable too, although not yet available.

I tried putting up a signature blurb but I'm not sure it worked, because the field stayed blank. I'm pasting it in manually in this post.

--
Roddy (SG)
Homebuild WHS PP3 5.23TB | Icy Dock MB455SPF-B (5xSATA)

Ok I got it right this time.

Apparently there's an issue with profile editing where you need to enter your password twice even if you are not changing it, otherwise the changes will be rejected.

roddy,

I did not have that problem at all. You might try it again today to see if you have better luck. I updated mine last night and was never asked for my password again. When you do it, it would be nice if you add info about your hardware (ie processor, memory, etc).

I tried it again and this time there were no issues. Hmm..

Anyway, I try to keep it simple to avoid spamming up the threads. It's nice that it only appears on the first post I made, that's a nice touch.