• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IndyLux

• dvn

• ikon

• jmwills

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe_Miner

Well THAT was a quick surgery... I tore it down and the standoffs were ALREADY THERE! I just finished putting it back together.

1) Power Supply - I don't go cheap on power supplies and it is NOT under high load. It's only a year old or so.

2) Standoffs - see above

3) Drivers - in Windows 8 I do have one 'unknown device'. No idea what it is. Maybe I'll run the Gigabyte update thing and see if it can figure it out.

4) Gremlins - it could be gremlins.

Well, I was hoping for the Standoffs being the problem. My next idea is the PSU. Even expensive PSU's can still fail or be quirky or the supply to the PSU could be crappy and causing the failure. Any big motors on the same circuit as your feed to your computer? Lights dimming at times? Old building with lousy ground system?

OK, not standoffs. I'm actually glad it wasn't that, because I would have trouble trusting a mother board that had been shorting against the case.

So, PSU next I guess. But, I was thinking, this might be a good time to try another drive in the unit, with a fresh install of the OS, just to help determine if it's hardware or software. Unfortunately, it would require you giving up your HTPC functions for a bit, which could be an issue.

Greg Welch

OK, not standoffs. I'm actually glad it wasn't that, because I would have trouble trusting a mother board that had been shorting against the case.

So, PSU next I guess. But, I was thinking, this might be a good time to try another drive in the unit, with a fresh install of the OS, just to help determine if it's hardware or software. Unfortunately, it would require you giving up your HTPC functions for a bit, which could be an issue.

I just finished a build , that i used a 500 gb Hdd in ,the system would shut down and when i booted into bios hdd has gone , checked connections it showed back up, then it did it again. no where to be found in bios.

so i tried an ssd and its been running great for 2 days. so i concure you may be on the something with the HDD

Great conversation guys, thanks.

Hard Drive - I have Windows 7 on an SSD and Windows 8 on a regular drive. The symptoms are with both OSs.

Drivers - I know Win7 and 8 both use similar drivers so I guess it could be a driver issue. Suggestions on searching for driver problems? Update

everything? I pretty much let Windows Update handle drivers unless something specific needs tweaking.

PSU - I could buy another PSU and see if it makes a difference. I don't think I have anything large on the same circuit. The TV and Receiver and maybe the subwoofer are on the circuit but none are super high powered. The reboots often happen with TV/Receiver/Woofer off.

For now, I may just go with the PSU theory. Any favorite brands / hated brands?

Edited by IndyLux

Excuse me if any of this has already been stated, but how long is your PC running before it reboots? Short time? Long? Does it reboot when it's sitting idle? When you're using it?

While you're figuring out what PSU to buy, have you run memtest?

You're using onboard graphics, right?

Speaking of PSUs, you don't have another computer in the house you could steal one from for testing purposes?

What make/model SSD? Firmware current? Try disconnecting the SSD, boot into W8, and see what happens?

Just thinking of things to try before you go to the store.

For now, I may just go with the PSU theory. Any favorite brands / hated brands?

Seasonic, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling.

Excuse me if any of this has already been stated, but how long is your PC running before it reboots? Short time? Long? Does it reboot when it's sitting idle? When you're using it?

While you're figuring out what PSU to buy, have you run memtest?

You're using onboard graphics, right?

Speaking of PSUs, you don't have another computer in the house you could steal one from for testing purposes?

What make/model SSD? Firmware current? Try disconnecting the SSD, boot into W8, and see what happens?

Just thinking of things to try before you go to the store.

All good suggestions.

DVN - I can't find rhyme or reason to it. It has happened while playing recorded TV, while watching movies, and at night while idol. I have also had it on and playing TV/movies for 3-4 hours with no disruption. Enough to have me here asking for help, not enough to drive me crazy.

I think I ran a mem-test (don't remember which software I trialed) but it found no errors. What do you use?

I use the onboard Intel graphics via HDMI.

I do have my server PSU, but I'm not sure I want to pull it and wait for a day or two for an error. I would almost rather get a new supply and have it for a backup if it wasn't the PSU.

I think it's an Intel SSD. I have never personally updated the firmware.

IndyLux

Well, since the tear down / rebuild, I've had 48 hours of uninterrupted 'up-time'. Maybe I had a loose connection.