RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Sudden Reboots

Joe_Miner

To be honest IndyLux, I'm surprised it runs at all without the standoffs. My recommendation is to unplug it from the wall and don't dare plug it in again until you have the standoffs in place. IMHO, you have been very, very lucky to date that the mobo hasn't permanently shorted out.

I'm with ikon on this -- intermitent grounds can drive you crazy and look like a lot of other things -- the only thing seperating the material on the bottom of your board from ground is the paint on the back plate. Shut it down and pull the MB out and install the standoffs.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IndyLux

• dvn

• ikon

• jmwills

Top Posters In This Topic

jmwills

Doesn't an overheated CPU usually shutdown? I was a little shocked to hear about the "no standoffs" build. I've never done one without them. If it were mine I would re do it. At least the CPU and possibly the cooler can stay attached. It's a full "cable yank" job but it would make me feel better. If you have a spare P/S you could try that after the standoffs are installed so you can rule out one or the other.

It can, but I shipped my HTPC home from Iraq and the CPU fan got dislodged so it would run for about two minutes and reboot. Finally, when I tore the thing apart I saw the CPU fan was loose. Grounding of the main board can cause this too.

Greg Welch

Sounds like a power supply to me. Memory can cause that that bu it usually hangs. This sounds more like a PS.

I agree with Mike/PcDoc PSU is a possibility

can you monitor its voltage using a killa-watt on the wall side and a handheld meter say on the cpu rail under stress and see if it presents a voltage Droop worthy of a shut down

It can, but I shipped my HTPC home from Iraq and the CPU fan got dislodged so it would run for about two minutes and reboot. Finally, when I tore the thing apart I saw the CPU fan was loose. Grounding of the main board can cause this too.

funny you mentioned the cpu fan falling off, my wifes pc just did that yesterday, she now has a server grade heatsink and fan,

@IndyLux and yes it shut down do to this as well, so worth a check. add some thermal greese while your in there

Hi Guys,

My HTPC has had a symptom for a few months where it reboots suddenly. There's no error and I can't seem to find an action that sets it off. The system reboots automatically and loads media center, so I'm not even entirely sure how often it happens. It happens if I'm booted into Windows 7 or 8, so I assume it is a hardware issue.

How would you troubleshoot this?

Thanks for your thoughts.

(PS, I helped a friend build a PC recently and told him not to install the stand off pegs under the motherboard. It didn't work until he installed them. My HTPC doensn't have the pegs installed either and I never thought it was an issue until my friend's build didn't work. I really don't want to tear down my system to install pegs if it has nothing to do with it.)

most cases have stand offs , so you probably were grounding the board in the wrong way , hope the board is ok

Thanks all! I just returned from a victorious afternoon of kickball. I'm reading your comments with amusement (and a bit of fear). I never knew you needed those stupid little pegs. I'll rip it open this afternoon and rebuild.

FYI - I have checked the memory and ran the power supply through some tests and they were both fine. The CPU temp doesn't get too high even on full load. I did once find my power button plug sitting on the bottom of the case when it wouldn't turn on. I hope I'm better at taking care of patients that I am at building PCs!

OK. Well, I can't see it from here so I'll tell you what. Let's make a game.of it. After installing the standoffs, if that doesn't solve it I'll bet on a driver issue. Most of you think it's the PSU and I can see that, but I'll bet on the drivers to keep it interesing.

Paging Dr. Lux to the OR! :P

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Well THAT was a quick surgery... I tore it down and the standoffs were ALREADY THERE! I just finished putting it back together.

1) Power Supply - I don't go cheap on power supplies and it is NOT under high load. It's only a year old or so.

2) Standoffs - see above

3) Drivers - in Windows 8 I do have one 'unknown device'. No idea what it is. Maybe I'll run the Gigabyte update thing and see if it can figure it out.

4) Gremlins - it could be gremlins.

Windows 8? Aw heck, I didn't catch that. I'm doubling down on the drivers!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

*Away geez, I'm not paying attention, am I? You said W7 + W8 in the very beginning. I'm now going with gremlins... and that's my final answer.

Unknown device was an IR receiver. It's unplugged now. We'll see if just unplugging and plugging everything back in fixed things.