RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Sudden Reboots

IndyLux

Hi Guys,

My HTPC has had a symptom for a few months where it reboots suddenly. There's no error and I can't seem to find an action that sets it off. The system reboots automatically and loads media center, so I'm not even entirely sure how often it happens. It happens if I'm booted into Windows 7 or 8, so I assume it is a hardware issue.

How would you troubleshoot this?

Thanks for your thoughts.

(PS, I helped a friend build a PC recently and told him not to install the stand off pegs under the motherboard. It didn't work until he installed them. My HTPC doensn't have the pegs installed either and I never thought it was an issue until my friend's build didn't work. I really don't want to tear down my system to install pegs if it has nothing to do with it.)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IndyLux

• dvn

• jmwills

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard you talk about it on the last podcast. Sorry to say, but I'd tear it down and install those standoffs.

Well, I suppose you could run memTest first, before you did anything. And check video drivers.

*There's nothing in Event Viewer under system? No errors?

Sounds like a power supply to me. Memory can cause that that bu it usually hangs. This sounds more like a PS.

The standoff pegs are needed for 2 reason. Airflow around the board (small reason) and to insure the board doesn't short against the case (big reason).

However, I agree with PCDOC. Others have mentioned random reboots and a new powersupply fixed the issue. Also, I believe if it was a power supply then the system wouldn't have a chance to log an error since the power supply would suddenly shut off.

Ah. You guys are right. It does sound like a bad PSU. And memory tyically hangs. But if I recall correctly, bad drivers or driver conflicts can cause spontaneous reboots, too. Especially with video cards. Pretty sure about that, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd tear the whole thing apart and start over. wouldn't rule out an overheating CPU either

I like the 'overheating parts' thing, too! I like 'em all!!

Tell you what, doc. Stick the patient in a box, ship it off to one of us, and we'll have it back in a jiffy! :lol:

To be honest IndyLux, I'm surprised it runs at all without the standoffs. My recommendation is to unplug it from the wall and don't dare plug it in again until you have the standoffs in place. IMHO, you have been very, very lucky to date that the mobo hasn't permanently shorted out.

I like the 'overheating parts' thing, too! I like 'em all!!

Tell you what, doc. Stick the patient in a box, ship it off to one of us, and we'll have it back in a jiffy! :lol:

Doesn't an overheated CPU usually shutdown? I was a little shocked to hear about the "no standoffs" build. I've never done one without them. If it were mine I would re do it. At least the CPU and possibly the cooler can stay attached. It's a full "cable yank" job but it would make me feel better. If you have a spare P/S you could try that after the standoffs are installed so you can rule out one or the other.