RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jazzerjay

Another New Egg "Deal" WD25EZRS 2.5TB SATA 3.0Gb/s $119

ikon

667GB, marked down from 1000GB :D

• Like 1

jazzerjay

I do recall someone saying something like that. I have to respectfully disagree. IMHO, one bad block does not necessarily indicate further issues. I have found that regular maintenance of drives will halt 'bad block cascade failure syndrome' at least 95% of the time (I'm being conservative; I actually think the percentage is much closer to 100%).

I've had hard drives' sectors marked bad in the past and the drive continued to work for years. (Who here remembers Norton Disk Doctor?) Anyway, I absolutely agree with you as mileage can vary. Heck I've got a 72GB SAS drive sitting on my desk right now that needs some further testing before I call out support to replace it. The darn thing keeps failing and most of the HP hardware I'm putting it in reports errors but nothing specific.

ikon

I've had hard drives' sectors marked bad in the past and the drive continued to work for years. (Who here remembers Norton Disk Doctor?) Anyway, I absolutely agree with you as mileage can vary. Heck I've got a 72GB SAS drive sitting on my desk right now that needs some further testing before I call out support to replace it. The darn thing keeps failing and most of the HP hardware I'm putting it in reports errors but nothing specific.

Have you used SpinRite on it? If not, I would try it on Level 4. If that doesn't work, it could be that the drive either needs a firmware update or the controller board itself is failing.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I do recall someone saying something like that. I have to respectfully disagree. IMHO, one bad block does not necessarily indicate further issues. I have found that regular maintenance of drives will halt 'bad block cascade failure syndrome' at least 95% of the time (I'm being conservative; I actually think the percentage is much closer to 100%).

I agree with you. I have two drives that had bad blocks, one has 12 and the other has 8, going on two years now and nothing has changed.