RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jazzerjay

Another New Egg "Deal" WD25EZRS 2.5TB SATA 3.0Gb/s $119

Dave

Maybe it used to be a 3TB and they just did the math with the bad blocks!

No like.

• Like 1

diehard

This is the first time I see a 2.5TB drive. It's referbished so it's not a new platter density.

ikon

Maybe they cut the size to 2.5TB in order to increase the number of spare sectors to qualify the drive for resale.

jazzerjay

Maybe they cut the size to 2.5TB in order to increase the number of spare sectors to qualify the drive for resale.

I know that typically when we get a replacement drive from a drive manufacturer, it's more than likely a refurb, and I'm OK with that. I'm just not so cool with buying one.

Maybe it used to be a 3TB and they just did the math with the bad blocks!

No like.

Right. I think it was PCDOC that said once you get a bad block on a drive, it's only a matter of time. (I could be misquoting completely)

jmwills

Maybe it's really a 3TB drive and .5TB doesn't work!! :lol:

ikon

Right. I think it was PCDOC that said once you get a bad block on a drive, it's only a matter of time. (I could be misquoting completely)

I do recall someone saying something like that. I have to respectfully disagree. IMHO, one bad block does not necessarily indicate further issues. I have found that regular maintenance of drives will halt 'bad block cascade failure syndrome' at least 95% of the time (I'm being conservative; I actually think the percentage is much closer to 100%).

Dave

Maybe we need a write up of detecting, repairing, and maintenance. I have a drive in a NAS box right now that has some SMART errors. Reporting some bad blocks.

ikon

Well, pretty much all the regulars here know I use SpinRite for drive repair and maintenance. It has served me extremely well.

dvn

The platters have a capacity of 667GB. Times 4 would approximate 2.5 TB.

Probably produced to get rid of 667GB platter back stock?? Who knows. Otherwise legit.