RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
eagle63

Opinions on DrivePool

eagle63

I've long been opposed to trying any DE replacement add-in. So much so that I'm still running WHSv1. But I'm working my towards "upgrading" to 2011 and I'm starting to feel like I should re-consider these products, especially now that StableBit's DrivePool is out of beta and - by all appearances - seems to be a nice product. (and is only $20) I have a collection of mis-matched drives, otherwise I'd consider RAID. But DrivePool seems like a good solution presuming it actually works.

So for those of you who are using it, what do you think? How does performance compare to DE in v1?

dvn

After hearing the recent HSS podcast and talking with John 'Diehard' Zajdler, I'm encouraged to try StableBit. But I'll stick it on a test box first and see how it goes for a month. Free 30-day trial.

axoid

I've been running DrivePool for a little over a month and I've been happy with it. No problems with it.

In fact, with the way it works with 2011, it makes me prefer it over v1.

Bill

ikon

As long as you have a comprehensive backup plan in place, and follow it rigourously, I think you can quite safely use DrivePool, or any of the Drive Extender replacements. After all, it's all about data safety and, with enough backup, nothing the drive management software can do (or not do) can cause you to lose your data.

jmwills

The Drive Extender Add-Ons may be worth taking a look at for consolidating some old drives and using that as backup space. To me, for at least the near future, its all about repurposing everything I can into one box.

jazzerjay

I've been running DrivePool for a little over a month and I've been happy with it. No problems with it.

In fact, with the way it works with 2011, it makes me prefer it over v1.

Bill

Interesting. Looks like I'll be trying the trial for my 2011 build then. Great input everyone as always.

eagle63

Cool, thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I'm going to give it a shot when I get my 2011 VM up and running. (I assume it won't care that I'm running it on a VM as long as I pass-thru the drives..)

This sounds silly, but I got a good "vibe" about drivepool just by reading through the developer's blog. The fact that he created his own filesystem is a little scary, but on the flip-side it sounds like that was the right thing to do. IOW, it doesn't sound like his solution is a hack.

jmwills

Absolutely about passing through those drives. 2011 will not know the difference.

TommySharp

I've been running drive pool on my production ex490 for a few months now with no issues... Works a treat!

Don W

I don't know anything about Drive Pool, but I have been using Drive Bender for months now and have never had a problem.

Don