RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
qianjizhao

Which OS is better?

ikon

I didn't see any reference to backups, so I thought he might find it useful. I still believe $50 for WHS2011 would be a good investment.

qianjizhao

seems like WHS 2011 would be the best choice.

i'll collect my server tomorrow and i found a way to get a WHS2011.

Thanks for all.

ikon

I hope it's a legal WHS2011 ;)

qianjizhao

I hope it's a legal WHS2011 ;)

all my OSs are legal copy.

WHS2011 is much cheaper than the V1 in the UK.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Stay away from WHS v1. Between the PC restore hassles/failures and and demigrator, it's better left to history.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Umm, v1 is the only home server product without hassles/failures. Yes there is demigrator but it is not that bad of a product. I would rather have that than v2, which sucks.

Of the choices you listed I'd look at 2008R2-Std but why aren't you considering WHS-2011 which is basically 2008R2-Foundation and can be found for $49

How can you even suggest v2 with all the problems it has had?

jmwills

I have no problems with either. V1 doesn't play nice with RAID so there's my beef.

ikon

How can you even suggest v2 with all the problems it has had?

I think, by now, most people have found ways to make WHS2011 work even better than v1. Some adjustments were required but, in the end, it has proven itself to be more robust, faster, and more reliable than v1 ever was.

jazzerjay

I think, by now, most people have found ways to make WHS2011 work even better than v1. Some adjustments were required but, in the end, it has proven itself to be more robust, faster, and more reliable than v1 ever was.

Well not for me honestly. But I'm biased because of my media smart server. That little bugger never failed...well until recently. Even today I was testing copying a 12GB file from my V1 to my desktop and then from my desktop to WHS2011. Copying from V1 was fine, but then when I was trying to copy back, that job slowed down to 1% or less for network utilization. Just very odd running on this N40l. So again, I start a new build of WHS 2011 on my other N40l. So far, I'm liking it. I'll start the drive swap technique soon, which takes time for sure.