Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
McCormic

Voicemail on WHS

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm considering adding "answering machine" to the list of duties for my WHS. Does anyone know of a good voice modem and software combo that is effective for a simple multi-user voicemail system?

My current plan is to forward the audio messages to users as email attachments.

I thought I would at least reply to your question so the subject doesn't die.

I don't use anything like this and a quick Google search doesn't look like it is a very popular option for home users.

However, you might find some people who are using Google Voice. I have submitted to be part of the program, but have not been selected. Indylux and Homeservershow (Dave) may have more details about Google Voice. Seems to Google Voice will do what you are describing.

cskenny beat me to the punch. I have been on Google Voice for about six months now and it is awesome. The only catch is you want multiple voice mailboxes and that might mean multiple GV accounts. The GV works is you can route a call to any number, you can filter call, and you can set up rules. You can assign a specific greeting based on time or number that calls but it all lands up in one voice mail. You should apply anyway and give it a shot, but if you actually want multiple voice mailboxs for different users you will need multiple accounts.

Hey folks,

Knowing absolutly nothing on GV, are you able to e-mail your voice mail messages to another e-mail. It would be nice to be able to have this GV and have it e-mail me the message to my BlackBerry, etc.

The short answer is yes. However it transcribe your voice mails and transcibing is close but not very accurate. It is good enough to get the point but... Still a great service tough.

The Guy,

Even if it were to only work with your gmail account, you can set up rules in gmail to forward specific email messages to another email address. Simply set up a rule to forward any GV message to your BlackBerry email address and you would be all set.

edit: Beat by pcdoc....

Thanks for the info cskenney and pcdoc. I requested a GV invite. It may be just what I'm looking for.

Good luck, I am sure you will like it.

I agree though, it is a shame there is no way to roll-your-own voicemail. It's not like the computer's not powerful/smart enough to do it. I guess there's just not much demand at all.

would installing asterix as a VM on your whs machine work? if you can get asterix to work you will have a full fledged switchboard available to you.