RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kermi

Skydrive + WHS2011

NorCalAl

They just updated it last week. I know Windows Live (or whatever it was called) went by the wayside, but the Live Essentials is the replacement. I've not read about it being discontinued.

kermi

Aha.. so it works.. mental note: Always check the forums before installing server 2008 R2 eval. and trying yourself. :D

Anyone made any serious attempts with the Remote Fetch functionality? What sort of video files it will stream, etc.?

ikon

They just updated it last week. I know Windows Live (or whatever it was called) went by the wayside, but the Live Essentials is the replacement. I've not read about it being discontinued.

Live isn't dead AFAIK. I still have an account that ties in with SkyDrive. Live Essentials adds applications, like MS Office functionality.

I had a quick look on WikiPedia about Mesh and I guess what had me confused is all the name changes Mesh has gone through. I thought, since it's now called Windows Live Mesh, that it had really become part of Live.

NorCalAl

Correct. I wasn't sure what the name changes all were. I know it was originally called FolderShare and I used it years ago. More recently, I was looking for a way to ensure all my photos were both local and current. Keeping them up on the WHS box was fine, but trying to use LightRoom or Photoshop with network served files of that size presented delays I didn't want to deal with. Enter Mesh.

Once I downed the old WHS v1 box, one of the main things I wanted to do was integrate Mesh into the system I built. So, my 2tb raid'ed shares on my WHS2011 box has all of my docs, blah blah blah. I have almost 1tb of photo files alone, tho. In my old setup, I had Mesh replicating across the PC's for only the latest months of my pics - and then they were backed up to the WHS box. Now I have Mesh replicating all my shots across the three PC's, plus on one of the external drives on my WHS box. Pretty cool.

I use Windows Live also - I say also because the whole Mesh part (which is part of the Essentials apps) is not well integrated. On your PC's it's installed as an app. There's no cloud option - which is, for me, a great thing. I wouldn't want to pay for the 1tb of cloud space (not to mention what Comcast might say about transfering 1tb up to that cloud).

So my question was basically whether or not there was duplication of capabilities in the Mesh/Drive apps. I think my last paragraph really is the answer - Mesh can allow you to replicate/synch any size files/directories, while Drive allows the same thing, with the limits of adding cloud-based duplication to the mix.

BTW - if you're wondering about using Mesh on WHS - obviously it works. Since it does require someone logged on, there is that limitation, but I've not found it problematic. I was originally going to add it as a service, but simply creating a scheduled task solved the problems for me. I did have some weird problem initially where the shares would just unhook or something from Mesh. It happened three times, but not since. The machine would still be recognized as a device on Mesh, but the shares would no longer be 'registered' or whatever term Mesh uses - they stopped synching with the other boxes and opening the Mesh app on the server showed no indication I'd ever created them. The files and directories were still there, of course. Like I said, happened three times. Recreating the shares fixed the issue (well, recreating them three times fixed the issue).

ikon

This just in. On today's Windows Weekly both Paul and Mary Jo said they believe Mesh is dead. Mary Jo said she asked MS about it and they would not answer her, to which Paul said, "Which means it's dead". Paul also alluded that he thinks some of the Mesh features will make their way into SkyDrive, but which features would make it would depend customer feedback.

NorCalAl

Naturally! Once I adopt and depend on something, it's like sounding the death knell for that product. Sigh. I guess once it dies, I'll be forced to switch yet again... I liked the separation of Mesh and Drive in that Mesh allowed you to synch massive amounts between boxes without synching (or paying for) to the cloud.

I guess like with DE, MS giveth then MS taketh away.

ikon

Sometimes it does seem like they're deliberately out to get us.....

jmwills

It's Joe_Miner's Skynet at work!

ikon

damn MicroServers :angry:

NorCalAl

I think MS was mis-defined here.... :0)

Just keep telling yourself, Microsoft knows best, Microsoft knows best....