RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kermi

Skydrive + WHS2011

ikon

It would be very interesting if you can find such a setting, as my understanding at the moment is that there isn't one. In fact, I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that it does work that way with phones. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

jmwills

One very nice setting is if you install it on the Server, you can take advantage of Shadow Copies in case you accidently delete something.

ikon

true. I hadn't originally thought about putting it on the server but it makes a lot of sense - a central repository for files you want always available.

Dave

It would be very interesting if you can find such a setting, as my understanding at the moment is that there isn't one. In fact, I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that it does work that way with phones. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Well I'm glad you understood my rambling! Seemed like a silly test but I wanted to make sure.

ikon

Well I'm glad you understood my rambling! Seemed like a silly test but I wanted to make sure.

Hey, it don't work fer sure until the fat lady sings :D

Greg Welch

I installed it on 2011 and made the folder one of my Shares and now simple access it from any pc, simple yet great. now to tye it in with crashplan as a local folder backup

then i can see it all on my windows phone, this is going to be fun

pcdoc

Installed it and it is pretty cool. Found out quickly that we need tune-ability. Had about 4 gigs already on SkyDrive and set it up on my laptop which was connected to an Verizon mobile hotspot. Next thing I know it is trying to sync 4 gigs off my mobile plan... This is not good. fortunately I was able to cancel before it got too far.

ikon

Installed it and it is pretty cool. Found out quickly that we need tune-ability. Had about 4 gigs already on SkyDrive and set it up on my laptop which was connected to an Verizon mobile hotspot. Next thing I know it is trying to sync 4 gigs off my mobile plan... This is not good. fortunately I was able to cancel before it got too far.

Yeah. That's what I was getting at. Thing is, if they're doing it for phones/mobile devices, why not for all devices?

NorCalAl

I use WHS 2011 for backup and shares, and for replication of files I use Mesh. I have Mesh installed on all my PC's and on one of the external drives on my WHS box. Those folders are not included in server backup and are excluded in client backups to the server. Backup is through replication between the machines.

Although I have plenty of drive space on the WHS box, I like to use that for pc backups and centralized shares (like music). So I use Mesh to replicate only files I want to access locally on each pc (to avoid network load times and such - like using photoshop on large photos). Mesh does not back up to the cloud, however. I wonder if I should switch to using SkyDrive for these multi-machine replications instead of Mesh since it also allows for further access from the web? (Of course, enabling web access on my WHS box would allow the same thing, though perhaps at a slower speed). Not to mention it offers the off-site backup of the cloud.

Seems MS is spending a lot of time offering similar tools. Mesh does offer remote access to machines, so that differentiates it from SkyDrive, which offers cloud storage but no remote access. Seems they would have just integrated the cloud functionality into Mesh... Or am I missing something? (I do realize that Mesh synchronizations can be folders of any size, while SkyDrive charges for synchs larger than 25g - so there's a big difference. But am I missing anything else?)

On my local PC's, I removed DropBox today in favor of SkyDrive. Both had iOS apps, so I saw no reason to keep DropBox - especially since I want to move to 100g storage and DB charges 4x what the other two choices charge (Google Drive/SkyDrive).

Edited by NorCalAl

ikon

I thought Mesh is going away.