RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kermi

Skydrive + WHS2011

kermi

So, Microsoft announced the new Skydrive yesterday along with specific application access your skydrive stored data directly from explorer. And they also added a feature to remotely access data on a computer running skydrive-client from www.skydrive.com . I briefly tested it, and seems to work okay. Since i don't own whs2011 box and there's no trial avaiable i come here to ask if anyone has tried to install said application on their whs2011 box?

jmwills

I will be trying it tonight.

Dave

I installed it just fine on WHS 2011. It puts a SkyDrive folder into your Explorer. I have yet to do anything with it but it's there.

jmwills

This is a great little app!

Mr_Smartepants

If you drag shortcuts or create symbolic links in the "skydrive" folder, does their app copy the shortcut or the files contained within the folder the shortcut points to?

jmwills

It works just like any other Explorer file service AFAIK. If you delete in the cloud, it propogates locally and vice versa with additions too.

Dave

Does it cache the files locally? I need to test!

Update: Tried it on Mac and spotlight search finds a file in SkyDrive. Looks to be the only copy.

ikon

Does it cache the files locally? I need to test!

Please let us know the results (not that you wouldn't anyway). As I understand it, from what Paul Thurrott has said, SkyDrive will keep the files synced on all your designated computers. IOW, if you check off the Shared Files on this computer with my other devices (or whatever the exact wording is), the files in the local SkyDrive directory will be copied to all your SkyDrive enabled computers.

jmwills

It runs the same way as Allway Sync does. This app also propogates deletions so be careful

Dave

I put a test folder up on SkyDrive and it immediately showed up on my WHS2011. Much like DropBox does. Instantly starts copying your file to all destinations.

So my cache question seems a bit odd now that I think of it. Like Jmwills says, it's like a sync service until you access it from your phone. I looked at my iPhone and saw my test files. It behaved how i wanted to as well. I turned off wifi, put the phone in airplane mode and tried to access the file and it couldn't. So like a true cloud your files are there but if you want it on your phone you can download it. It didn't auto sync to the phone.

Seems a little elementary to go over that but it behaved how i wanted it to on the phone. I don't think we want our 25 Gig of stuff syncing to our mobile devices automatically.

Having said that, i need to dig in the settings to get it to act like a true cloud and not sync everything. I would like to put my files in my SkyDrive folder and have them stay there and only download them as needed. Offline storage kinda. May just be a setting somewhere.