RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Ceton Tuner, HP Microserver with WHS 2011

dbailey75

I posted this over at we got served, no response, figure, I'd post here as well.

I've followed the instructions over at missing remote and I have my ceton infinitfv installed in the first PCI slot of my N40L running WHS 2011, the tuner card has a satatic IP, the server is also on a statice IP, and I'm sharing the turners with two PC's on my network, works, no problem as long as the server is on, If the server hibernates, on resume, the ceton card will not have an IP (remember it's static), you can not access the device's web page, it no longer appears as a network device, but its still listed under device manager and shows as functioning correclty. A simple reboot cures the problem, and it's back on the network.

Before loading the ceton in the server, it was installed in a PC, using the ceton network tuning wizard, and the PC could hibernate, and the card would pick up an IP, DHCP address, with out issue.

I'm using the nic driver listed on HP's site for the N40L,

Can anyone else confirm if they are having this issue with the ceton and the HP microserver, or any other hardware for that matter where they performed a manual bridge? I just need some one to confirm at this point if their microserver will hibernate and resume using lights out, with their ceton card functional, maybe it's not possible based on the hardware, I don't know.

I've rebuilt the server, and results re the same.

This is really driving me nuts.

Thanks.

Just a thought; have you talked to Ceton?

Not yet, I'm was going to see what information I could dig up, its not an officially supported installation,but pending any feedback, I'll be doing that next.

What they will tell you is this is not supported, but as I have 3 cetons running this way :-) what I can tell you is some nic's don't bridge to the ceton as well as others' i think intels work best. what I would suggest is few things.

1st check the nic's settings see see if you can turn any power options off

2nd you may already know don't assign a static to ceton using router

3rd turn off any sleep,hibernation on server

4th on media center app in extras for the ceton turn on toggle before recording show

I'll check my setting when I get home,and see if I have anything that can really help.

What they will tell you is this is not supported, but as I have 3 cetons running this way :-) what I can tell you is some nic's don't bridge to the ceton as well as others' i think intels work best. what I would suggest is few things.

1st check the nic's settings see see if you can turn any power options off

2nd you may already know don't assign a static to ceton using router

3rd turn off any sleep,hibernation on server

4th on media center app in extras for the ceton turn on toggle before recording show

I'll check my setting when I get home,and see if I have anything that can really help.

Yeah, the bridging is a tricky thing from what I've read, it would be helpful to just find someone with a N40L, confirm which drivers, graphic, chipset, and NIC they are using and see if they are having the same issues, it may turn out to be a compatibility issue with the hardware, if that's the case, then I'll just keep the server on 24X7.

I did a rebuild last week, and man does it take a long time to load WHS on this server, anyway, I have an image, but decided to do a fresh install and that's when I tried to load the HP recommended driver for chipset and graphics, but no luck. Last night I tried installing the broadcom driver that someone recommended over at "avforums", no change.

Now, It was late when I was getting the server back together, maybe around 2 or 3 am Saturday, or you could say it was beer:30, i do remember testing the hibernation without the bridge enabled, and I recall, I "think", that the card had no issue with the default settings after resume, using the diagnostic tool, if this is the case it would point to an issue with the NIC. But I need to give this another try, earlier in the evening. I did log a support ticket with ceton, so we’ll see how that goes.

Edited by dbailey75

They do have a beta firmware that may help I'll email it later tonight,

or better yet see if they have a newer one

Pm me your email

it may turn out to be a compatibility issue with the hardware, if that's the case, then I'll just keep the server on 24X7.

Hope you didn't miss point 3 in WelchWerks last post.

Hope you didn't miss point 3 in WelchWerks last post.

yes, I saw that, but that kind of defeats the purpose of my post, figured he may of had a brain fart. lol.

yes, I saw that, but that kind of defeats the purpose of my post, figured he may of had a brain fart. lol.

Yeah, that's why I pointed it out; wanted to make sure everyone's on the same page. :)