jazzerjay

Google Drive Officially Launched

jazzerjay

http://mashable.com/2012/04/24/google-drive/

Google is offering all users 5GB of storage on the service for free. If you need more than the 5GB, then it is offering several tiers of storage options. You can choose to upgrade to 25GB for $2.49/month, 100GB for $4.99/month or 1TB for $49.99/month. When you upgrade to a paid account, your Gmail account storage also expands to 25GB.

https://drive.google.com/start#home

"Borrowed" from mashable.com

ikon

hmmmm, looks like SkyDrive will have to lower prices. Don't you love competition? :)

jmwills

If SkyDrive lowers their price for 25 gigs, they will be paying me to use it. It's free.

ikon

If SkyDrive lowers their price for 25 gigs, they will be paying me to use it. It's free.

That's changing, very soon. If you haven't signed into SkyDrive and claimed your free upgrade to 25GB, then you should do so right away. They're changing SkyDrive so it's 7GB free and you pay to get more.

Oops, I just realized jazzerjay was quoting monthly prices, but SkyDrive is priced yearly:

7GB is free

Add 20GB costs $20/yr

Add 50GB costs $25/yr

Add 100GB costs $50/yr

So, in reality, the prices are pretty comparable. I expect they will harmonize in the near future.

jazzerjay

Wow, just got 7 emails about your post ikon. That was crazy. Great followup btw. For me the 50GB is still not a bad idea....

jmwills

25 is plenty for my critical cannot afford ever to lose data.

hopester

That's changing, very soon. If you haven't signed into SkyDrive and claimed your free upgrade to 25GB, then you should do so right away. They're changing SkyDrive so it's 7GB free and you pay to get more.

Thanks for the heads up, just claimed my space before they reduced it.

ikon

Wow, just got 7 emails about your post ikon. That was crazy. Great followup btw. For me the 50GB is still not a bad idea....

Hmmm, wonder why 7 emails? Oh well, the main thing is for everyone to get notified. And I agree, the price for 50GB is pretty low.

Thanks for the heads up, just claimed my space before they reduced it.

Hey, you're welcome. Wouldn't want to see anyone lose out.

jmwills

'Specially on a FREEBIE!

jazzerjay

Hmmm, wonder why 7 emails? Oh well, the main thing is for everyone to get notified. And I agree, the price for 50GB is pretty low.

I even got one that said test1 test2 test3. But that wasn't posted here or at least it's NOT posted here now. No big deal, just very odd since you posted once. That being said, I still wouldn't mind trying Google Drive I suppose. The problem, as always, is setting up an automatic backup to that drive. All of us know users that have a backup solution, but never use it. For instance I set an external drive up at a friend's house for external backups and a simple scheduled task. When their hard drive died, I asked if they had the external drive plugged in. The answer was yes, but they were talking about the power, not the cable. :(