RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Dave

Is the best Kindle the one you have wih you? Meaning; your smartphone?

Tell me what the best Kindle reader is and why.

ikon

For me, the eInk Kindles are the best. It's like reading a real book, but even better cause the print is clearer, with no paper texture bleeding the ink, and the font can be resized as desired. Eink also works better in bright sunlight than a real book, which can reflect a bit too much. Add to that, it's lighter and thinner, and your hand doesn't get sore holding it open like when holding a book.

Mind you, I think it was really great, and smart, of Amazon to make the Kindle app for so many platforms. It's really convenient when a real Kindle is unavailable. So, in that sense, yes, the Kindle you have with you is best (but I would still rather have an eInk one with me).

cskenney

I agree with ikon....I have friend that uses an eInk Kindle. It is much easier to read verses using a phone. The screen is easier on the eyes too especially in directly light.

yodafett

My iPad but is because I prefer standard epub and ibooks to kindle. If i do have a kindle book i just read it via the ipad app

ikon

Remember, Kindle is just MobiPocket format.

Dave

How is reading on the eInk different than reading on the Fire? I do like the fact you can also get Prime movies on it.

jeffla

eInk FTW. Tried reading on my phone and find it too small, reading on the touchpad was headache inducing. Physical books are fine but I prefer how light our eInk devices are. I also like how the font can be changed and the text is always super sharp. I've read pleny of cheap paperbacks where the printer must have been misaligned or something as the print was blurry for a few chapters. I stare at screens all the time, while relaxing I want nothing to do with backlit screens. I also read on our patio all summer long and nothing beats eInk in the sun.

JROrtiz

Definitely eInk. I've tried reading on my phone(s), iPad, Sony Tablet S, and Fire, and I always revert to an eInk reader. It's the perfect size and weight and extremely easy and comfortable to read on. I could never read more than a few pages on an LCD screen before I got tired.

Dave

I'm getting the picture here. I'm thinking the low end kindle reader even though i want the fire for movies.

ikon

How is reading on the eInk different than reading on the Fire? I do like the fact you can also get Prime movies on it.

It's the basic 'reflective vs transmissive' issue again. Because eInk isn't blasting light into your eyes it's more spectral (less point source) which most people find less tiring.

In many ways I don't consider the Fire to be a Kindle at all. I was surprised Amazon decided to group it in with the others - I would have simply called it the Amazon Fire and marketed it as a standalone device.

If you're not in a hurry, you may want to hold off on buying a Kindle. There are now devices out in the Pacific Rim that have full-colour, full-motion, reflective screens, based on a technology developed by QualComm called Mirasol. They're not out in North America yet, but I think it's only a matter of time.