RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

25 Essential WHS Projects

awraynor

So I purchased the new 25 Essential WHS Projects "book" from the guys over at wegotserved, also have their WHS 2011 step by step. For anyone new to WHS they are quite useful reading, especially the projects book. The authors discuss the howto steps for v1 and 2011. I was familiar with most of the material in both selections, but it's nice to see it laid out in an easy to understand format for someone who is not.

No, I had too many windows open and posted in the wrong topic....notice how quickly it disappeared?

So I purchased the new 25 Essential WHS Projects "book" from the guys over at wegotserved, also have their WHS 2011 step by step. For anyone new to WHS they are quite useful reading, especially the projects book. The authors discuss the howto steps for v1 and 2011. I was familiar with most of the material in both selections, but it's nice to see it laid out in an easy to understand format for someone who is not.

I also got it and its great. Gave me ideas I had not thought of. Good stuff.

So I bought a 2nd Gen Apple TV off of EBay. Picked that one due to a lack of untethered jailbreak on 3rd Gen. Sent it to this

guy to be jailbroken, http://myworld.ebay.com/pheenix11. I tried, despite building many hackintoshes, rooting my Droid X and

installing custom ROM's etc., I just couldn't get it to work. Didn't want to accidentally upgrade to 5.1 firmware, so he took care

of it for me for only $40 which included return shipping. It is amazing how much more the ATV2 will do with ATV Flash.

Best of all no buttons for the kids to push and it shows all my ripped DVDs from the WHS and more in a great layout for HDTV.

So I bought a 2nd Gen Apple TV off of EBay. Picked that one due to a lack of untethered jailbreak on 3rd Gen. Sent it to this

guy to be jailbroken, http://myworld.ebay.com/pheenix11. I tried, despite building many hackintoshes, rooting my Droid X and

installing custom ROM's etc., I just couldn't get it to work. Didn't want to accidentally upgrade to 5.1 firmware, so he took care

of it for me for only $40 which included return shipping. It is amazing how much more the ATV2 will do with ATV Flash.

Best of all no buttons for the kids to push and it shows all my ripped DVDs from the WHS and more in a great layout for HDTV.

Sounds cool. What extra functionality does it provide you? Assume it can now read your shares?

The biggest benefit for me is an instant on device that can display my ripped movies with the pretty cover art.

Also a device that my kids can't keep pressing the buttons on! The FireCore website has a video and a lot

more information. This is an abridged version but:

Usual Apple TV stuff - I may be repeating basic functions below as I haven't had an Apple TV before

Plex - can read the shares, but can't play my ripped DVD folders. Can do some video functions, photos, and more.

XBMC - can play my ripped DVD folders, media and a ton of addins

iCloud Music

Internet Media/Sites such as - YouTube, Netflix, MLB.TV, NBA, NHL, WSJ Live, Vimeo, Flickr, Radio

Web Surfing

Playing from iTunes libraries on your network

So far an awesome $99 spent. Not counting the lifetime upgrade of ~$60 for FireCore and $40 to jailbreak it.