RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

VPN with WHS 2011

eagle63

Check the WHS 2011 hosts file. It has a bad habit of assigning IP addresses. Delete the IP addresses. They will cause a conflict with the router.

Check the WHS 2011 hosts file. It has a bad habit of assigning IP addresses. Delete the IP addresses. They will cause a conflict with the router.

Interesting point.

Ok, I think I may have solved problem #1. In the Routing and Remote Access role, expand the IPv4 node, then right-click on the DHCP Relay Agent node and select properties. In here you can add server addresses, which (presumably) is where you should be the location of your DHCP server. (which in my case is just my router) So I added 192.168.1.1 in this section which is my router's IP and then everything worked perfectly from my win7 laptop. I could ping all my internal machines as well as RDP to them.

Still no luck on problem #2 however. My mac can can connect just fine to the VPN, but once connected it cannot ping nor RDP to any of my internal machines. I'm still doing some troubleshooting so hopefully I'll get this resolved.

One other question though now that I've gained a small amount of VPN knowledge: Is anyone using SSTP (vpn over SSL) on their WHS? I set mine up as PPTP which, as I understand it, is an older and less secure protocol. It's easy to connect to, and I think its is encrypted, but supposedly it's not nearly as robust as SSL. The problem with using SSTP from what I can tell is twofold: first you need to purchase an SSL cert, and second - it's not supported on mac's. Since I run a very mixed-mode household (mac's, windows, and linux) I need something that will be support all 3. (or at least mac and windows)

• 1 month later...

Hey Eagle

Nice Post.... I am also looking at doing this with my current network. so I thought I would ask you how you found the whole experience as well as living with it on a day to day basis?

From what i can gather the (HOME SIDE) of your VPN is tied down to you WHS ?

My initial plan was to have this tied to my home router then access my network from there? is this sum thing you considered ?

@scouserjones86

Yes, my WHS 2011 box is acting as the VPN server rather than my router. I'm running the Tomato firmware on my router, though I'm not sure if it supports acting as a VPN server or not. Honestly, I just stumbled across that article first so decided to go that route.

Also, I should mention that I do have everything working fine now even from my Mac. Turns out when I was initially testing all of this I was using my phone's hotspot app which must have some weird quirk or limitation. Connecting from other outside networks (such as my work, friend's house, etc) all works perfectly from my mac. I can RDP and ping any machine inside my network.

• 8 months later...

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I used the link in the first post to get set up and am able to access shares on the server without issues (apart from speed which varies). I thought I'd try and contribute to see if SSL is possible with this. I'm going to usehttp://www.makeuseof.com/tag/free-ssl-certificate/ to get a free SSL certificate and see if I can figure out what to do. I'll post back!