RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
alan2k

eSata Card for HP Microserver

pcdoc

Well, an interesting discussion. The NL40 doesn't have built-in USB 3.0 of course. I do have a USB3.0 in my desktop and I'm not happy with the performance (don't ask me which card, it's been a while).

Question, pcdoc, oh great HSS Master!, what box are you using with your Startech. Most of the boxes are 4-bay, but I would love to have a 5-bay of which it looks like the only one really available is the Sans Digital which actually comes with a RR622 card (highpoint), but there is a lot of messages on their forum about the box reseting under heavy write conditions. Since I'm storing TV shows & such off my Tivo (and I don't believe in deleting anything!), they are many and big.

I was looking at the Startech actually, but wasn't sure about the quality. Have you tried 2 of them (I want to go big). This server is replace my current setup that eats watts (4 dell md1000 SAS chasis on Dell Perc 6e controller Windows 2008 box).

Just for fun, I also have a Synology DS1511+ with a DS511 expansion unit.

Thanks guys. Enjoy the show and the suggestions!

Alan

Actually it is ikon that has the Startech. I have use the Renasa/NEC based boards as well as the new Highpoint which is the best as it has 4 independent controllers. As forthe boxes, here the one I used for a while. I think there are several on the forums who use this as well. I stopped using external boxes and went to a second server but this was a great box while i had it.

http://homeservershow.com/lian-li-ex-503b.html

ikon

I agree with pcdoc re: USB3 cards. With HighPoint's reputation, they would be ill advised to not put out an excellent one. Based on Joe_Miner's experience it seems the WD card might be a good second choice; after all, they have a reputation to watch out for too. I'm not sure what's wrong with the Renesas/NEC cards, but I couldn't get more than USB2 performance, and sometimes not even that.

dbailey75

New install of a NL40 (actually bought it during the sales!). I want to add extra storage. What eSata card would you suggest for this device? It doesn't have to support Raid, just port multiplier as I'm using FlexRaid.

Thanks, Alan

While there seems to be some debate on which direction to go, esata or USB, I'm using this card, http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816150033, while I'm not a techy, I know esata will pass SMART information about the drives, can this be done over USB 3.0?

I need to add one disclaimer, I've not actually used the card, It's installed and and device manager lists the card of working, but I need to recycle some drives from my WHS V1, but I'm not yet ready to turn on my WHS v1.

Edited by dbailey75

ikon

I know esata will pass SMART information about the drives, can this be done over USB 3.0?

AFAIK, USB does not pass SMART info. It's one of the reasons Steve Gibson recommends not using USB with SpinRite.

Joe_Miner

(snip)

I know esata will pass SMART information about the drives, can this be done over USB 3.0?

(snip)

AFAIK, USB does not pass SMART info. It's one of the reasons Steve Gibson recommends not using USB with SpinRite.

I've done it via the USB 2.0 ports on my EX-487. Haven't tried it with USB 3.0 but I wouldn't see why not.

HD Sentinal does it among other many fine paid and free products -- such as our own Home Server Smart.

ikon

I've done it via the USB 2.0 ports on my EX-487. Haven't tried it with USB 3.0 but I wouldn't see why not.

HD Sentinaldoes it among other many fine paid and free products -- such as our own Home Server Smart.

Interesting. I wonder, then, if it has something to do with the fact that SpinRite uses FreeDOS as its OS, cause Steve has definitely said that SpinRite doesn't have access to SMART data from drives connected via USB.

alan2k

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll keep you updated on the build. If anyone is using SAS, I have great enclosures (with & without drives) if you want.