RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS2011 on Proliant N40L - 3tb Drives not recognizing all disk space

In a nut shell these were external 3tb drives. I tested and moved data for a week back and forth to make sure these were reliable before voiding the warranty. I install these in my N40L and for some odd reason I see 2tb usable and 7** unallocated and not usable. I figured it was just a table issue and I attempted to use gparted to combine/resize the partition and repartition it to EXT4.

No go. It fails out.

Leads me to believe there is a bottle neck in the motherboard? Anyone have any ideas? thanks much in advance!

Edited by kurabii

I have tried gparted and couldnt touch it. does gparted have gpt? if that doesnt work whats my next option?

Also in disk management I cannot touch the 7**gb space. All i can do is go to properties within DM WHS 2011

Edited by kurabii
Joe_Miner

In a nut shell these were external 3tb drives. I tested and moved data for a week back and forth to make sure these were reliable before voiding the warranty. I install these in my N40L and for some odd reason I see 2tb usable and 7** unallocated and not usable. I figured it was just a table issue and I attempted to use gparted to combine/resize the partition and repartition it to EXT4.

No go. It fails out.

Leads me to believe there is a bottle neck in the motherboard? Anyone have any ideas? thanks much in advance!

There's no bottle neck in the motherboard. Go to Disk Management under Server Manager. Check

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3654-3tb-drive-performance-on-microserver-hyper-v-pass-thru/ and it's related links for performance of Seagate and WD 3TB drives in the MicroServer (all the drives tested were the full single partition 3TB)

Check out JPLTim's video here:

THANK YOU!

Im probably going home to grab my server at apartment and bring into work and try this. Thanks a LOT!

hahaha

There's no bottle neck in the motherboard. Go to Disk Management under Server Manager. Check

http://homeserversho...er-v-pass-thru/ and it's related links for performance of Seagate and WD 3TB drives in the MicroServer (all the drives tested were the full single partition 3TB)

Check out JPLTim's video here:

jazzerjay

Is there any issues once you exceed the 2048 GB worth of data on a 3TB drive? Corruption or otherwise unusable data?

yodafett

Is there any issues once you exceed the 2048 GB worth of data on a 3TB drive? Corruption or otherwise unusable data?

no issue just the 80s and 90s biting us in the butt, convert to gpt and all is fine. have 3 servers at work running with 28~ D drives (12 3TB drives in raid 6) just right click convert to gpt and expand the volume if already created

Joe_Miner

As long as it's not your OS drive -- Just set it up as GPT in Disk Management as Yoda said and it's good -- just holds more data. Backing it up is more of a challenge since M$ goes wonky about backing up a drive > than 2TB.

I've had 2 WD Green 3TB's since September, the Seagate 3TB since early this year, and the Seagate 4TB for about a month -- been copying data on & off etc without issue.