RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
timekills

HP dv7t Quad Edition for $699 after $550 off Coupon (normally $1,099.99)

timekills

Have to buy through HP.com

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&series_name=dv7tqe_series

Use coupon code NBN6552 at checkout to get $550 off the price of a the laptop, the final price for a loaded configuration comes to $699. Here are the specs on the Pavilion dv7t for this $699 deal:

• Processor: Intel Core i7-2670QM
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon 7470M
  • Memory: 8GB RAM
  • Screen: 17.3” 1600 x 900 HD+
  • Storage: 750GB 5400RPM
  • Warranty: 2-years

The dv7tqe has the option for dual hard drives so you can either use two hard drives for storage or use an SSD and HD for performance and storage capacity.

I'd go for the more expensive higher res version, only because it comes with the Radeon HD 6770M with 2GB VRAM but I can't find a way to configure it with that video card. They have them in quick ship, but the coupon doesn't work. It is a MUCH faster GPU than the Radeon 7470M.

ikon

That's quite a price for an i7 lappy.

re: the GPU, why not give them a call? Maybe it's only the 7470 version that's on sale?

msawyer91

Have to buy through HP.com

http://www.shopping....e=dv7tqe_series

Use coupon code NBN6552 at checkout to get $550 off the price of a the laptop, the final price for a loaded configuration comes to $699. Here are the specs on the Pavilion dv7t for this $699 deal:

• Processor: Intel Core i7-2670QM
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon 7470M
  • Memory: 8GB RAM
  • Screen: 17.3” 1600 x 900 HD+
  • Storage: 750GB 5400RPM
  • Warranty: 2-years

The dv7tqe has the option for dual hard drives so you can either use two hard drives for storage or use an SSD and HD for performance and storage capacity.

I'd go for the more expensive higher res version, only because it comes with the Radeon HD 6770M with 2GB VRAM but I can't find a way to configure it with that video card. They have them in quick ship, but the coupon doesn't work. It is a MUCH faster GPU than the Radeon 7470M.

I'm not sure you can use coupon codes on Quick Ship models. I'd take ikon's advice and call them and see if they'll let you apply the coupon to that model.

I've got a similar laptop, although it's a year old now. Indeed I like the dual bay feature, although in the case of mine it didn't come with the mounting kit for the second drive. A colleague of mine pointed me to newmode.us, and they had the exact kit I needed at an awesome price, plus fast shipping.

In my case I dropped in an OCZ Octane 128 GB SSD as the primary drive for the OS and application binaries. The HDD that came with the laptop was demoted to the secondary slot, and I put the paging file and user data there--basically all of the "write intensive" stuff that's bad for SSDs. It's a bit tricky to set it up--you have to log in with an initial user account and then run a tool to move the default profile to the secondary disk. All new users created will have their profiles loaded on the HDD instead of on the SSD.

Oh is it fast. On a the HDD alone, from power on to logon to a "fully usable" state (meaning all applications loaded post logon and the machine was usable without sluggishness) was almost 3 minutes. With the SSD, it's about 45-50 seconds to fully usable. They're still expensive but you can't go wrong with an SSD! Especially when the lappy has two drive bays!

msawyer91

OK I clicked on the link you provided, selected "recommended configuration," then clicked on graphics card, kicked it up to the 2 GB card and added it to my cart.

I applied the coupon code, and got this message (because there was an instant rebate on it already):

We automatically select the greater savings when offer restrictions allow only a coupon or an instant savings to be applied to an item.

That made the price $1093.99 (includes the $550 off). If I remove the coupon, it puts the laptop instant rebate ($250) back on, which fattens the price to $1393.99. Bear in mind this is using the pre-built "recommended configuration" with only one change--me kicking the graphics card up to the 2 GB model (adds $75 above the 1 GB model).

Matt

timekills

I'm going to have to try that. Although I'm not sure what the extra $400 is for...the video card is only about $150.

ikon

I'm going to have to try that. Although I'm not sure what the extra $400 is for...the video card is only about $150.

That seems to confirm that they're not giving the super discount for the higher GPU model. It's still a good price, just not so fantastic.

timekills

No, they are. By default it includes the 1920x matte screen, and a 1TB drive, among some other support upsells. I removed the additional support/warranty, "downgraded" from 1TB 5400 RP to 750 GB 7200 RPM (plan on adding an SSD for main drive) but kept the 2GB faster GPU and the 1920 screen.

ikon

Good moves. So that brought the price down to what?

timekills

Still $950 after shipping and taxes. But it has a video card that is top 10% in speed including desktop versions, a 4 core i7 (mobile, but a burner) and two hard drive bays plus what is supposed to be an extremely high quality screen.

Not an Ivy Bridge chip, but since I needed a new laptop, figured it was worth it. I am in an unusual situation where a 17" desktop replacement is something I actually need. I am deploying again soon, and can't lug a desktop with me, but this bad boy can do double duty as workstation and gamer.

ikon

sorry to hear you're deploying again. Are you allowed to say where?