RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
whatsinaname

New N40L Question about Optical Bay

whatsinaname

Hello All,

I just picked up an N40L off newegg the other day (200 dollars on their business site!)

I flashed the modified bios, and I am planning on installing

http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816215323

in the optical bay to put the 250 gig drive as the os.

My question is this, While I wait impatiently for the hot swap cage to arrive, can I go ahead and install WHS 2011 on the drive in the first slot, then move the drive to the hotswap tray after I receive it? My logic says that would be fine, but I thougt I would ask the experts.

This is such a nice little server, even if it is not a powerhouse, it is still more powerful than my old h340 :)

yodafett

You should be able to do it just need to adjust the bios for the boot drive order and which disk drive to boot off first

whatsinaname

Thanks for the information.

I also upgraded to 8 gigs of ram. Now I am just trying to decide if I want to purchase stablebit drivepool or not. Decisions decisions.

One other quick question. In moving the data from one server to the other, would it be faster to just use my external usb drive, or over the network. (Gig network)

I am now mentally trying to figure out in my mind "the great drive swap" (remove one drive, transfer data, etc... I am sure everyone has gone thru that!)

yodafett

Since your external is USB at 2.0 I would say Ethernet unless you have lots of movies, etc if that connect a sata drive in the old server copy it to that then install that drive as a second in the new server. for this feature alone I love the goflex drives from seagate as the USB2.0 controller adapter can be removed and made into esata,/usb3 or i can just plug it in as a regular sata drive temporarily

whatsinaname

For copying over the network sould I use something like teracopy on my whs 2011 box? With out drive extender I am guessing I can copy to share folders easily and not worry about corruption.

Joe_Miner

For copying over the network sould I use something like teracopy on my whs 2011 box? With out drive extender I am guessing I can copy to share folders easily and not worry about corruption.

I've used Teracopy a lot for that. Set it so that it checks that file copied OK too. It's not the fastest out there but I like it. I didn't have any problem copying to 2011.

whatsinaname

Thanks for all the help... Looking forward to getting my hands dirty. Then I have to off load the old h340. Ebay here I come. :)

yodafett

Robocopy here in backup mode multi thread it. Otherwise rich copy. Never use explorer

ikon

I'll agree with yodafett and Joe_Miner. I typically use RoboCopy but TeraCopy will do the job. You just really want to use a tool specifically designed to do robust file copying, to ensure the copies are good.

whatsinaname

Sounds good. Wish me luck Time to install.