RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Let the Microserver mods begin!

tojoski

This is gonna be fun :)

Just sniped this this on ebay for a steal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221000892517?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I may have to dremel the bracket, but thats no big deal. It's probably going to get a little fan on the heatsink too.

I've got 4 Samsung 2TB F4's to go into the backplane, in raid5 will give me 6TB.. plus I can add 4 more drives externally.

I'm going to mount the 40GB Intel SSD that is in my current server in the space under the ODD slot.

Not sure what I'm going to do for backup just yet, I may through a 4TB drive in the ODD slot..

Next up will be a 8GB ram kit and possibly a battery for the raid card, so I can enable write cacheing.

Looks like that card is also known as an Intel SRCSAS144E although LSI has a newer firmware available.

In my existing server, I'm running an LSI 8408E which is the same as the Intel SRCSAS18E.. funny thing is the card doesnt seem to care if you run the LSI firmware / utility or the Intel firmware / utility.

It is. LSI oems more Sas controllers than foxcon does ultra books

Makes sense. LSI (and it's previous incarnations) has been doing RAID a long time.

I got the card in yesterday, and it was sealed in the static bag! pretty sure it was brand new.

It just barely fits in the microserver, I'll have to mod the bracket because I've not been able to find a low profile bracket.

I plan on adding a 40mm fan to the HSF to as it gets pretty warm.

Interestingly enough the card actually has the intel firmware on it, I'll probably be putting the lsi firmware on there as it's quite a bit newer.

The card almost covers the onboard SAS port but I think I can flex the card just a couple of mm and still be able to plug in another sas cable for the SSD and the backup drive.

WP_000120.jpg

WP_000115.jpg

wow, that looks like a tight fit. I'm surprised there's room for a fan. Good luck with it. Maybe you can post some more pics.