RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What do I do now

mailman1988

OK, I'm a longtime WHS v1 user, but I finally have put together a Media Center set up. I need pointers on what to do to make this all work.

Here is what I got so far.

WHS v1 on a AMD Athlon 64x2, also running Serviio. 4G ram, 5T HD. (1T+2T+2T)

MS Media Center (Vista 32bit), on a stand alone (not hooked up to TV). AMD Duo 4200+ Nvidia Gforce 6100, 3G ram

Gigabit Switch & Network.

HDHomerun 2 tuner (just installed on 4/13). TV signal via Over the Air

Sony SMP100 media device (using Serviio to connect to server)

Sony Blu-Ray (will not see Serviio)

AppleTV v1

Xbox360 (in Kid's room).

1st question, where is Media Center storing it's recoreded video?

How do I move things around to view on my Sony SMP100.

Tweeking

How do I remote into this PC to set up programing remotely.

Do I need a HTPC?

I have 3 tv's, configuration: #1 has SMP100, #2 (main TV), has Blu-ray,AppleTV, #3 has Xbox.

Should I just move the Media Center to tv#2? and upgrade the video card w/HDMI?

I intend on watching movies from server & TV content.

Most of my movies are manually ripped and moved to server as AVI,MOV,Mp4.

Thanks in advance

ps. I really liked the HDHomerun. A great experience installing it. Automatically installs Firmware updates during 1st install.

I went ahead and installed the connector.

After having an evening of fraustration of loosing connection to my server and internet. Many reboots. I believe I figured out that my Video Drivers needed updating. Interesting that Media Center kept bombing out after a period of time. I installed the new drivers and all seems to be well-I find out tonight when I get home if I am correct.

So, my video's have been transfered to my server-Very Nice. But I cannot view them through my Sony SMP. I can view them from my laptop via Media Center though. Do I need to change the extentions or because of DRM, I need a PC/ HTCP?

Also, when I get done viewing a program, How do I delete it or keep it?

If the recordings that you can't view on the Sony SMP are the ".WTV" TV show recordings, this is expected. WTV is proprietary to Microsoft.

You'll need to convert the WTV files to a format that the Sony SMP can read. If WMV is a format that the Sony device can decode then there is a setting in the Media Center Connector that will allow you to have Media Center convert the WTV files to WMVs and store them on your server.

If the device needs another file format, they you'll need to find something else to do the transcoding.

To delete a WTV that has been moved to the server you can use the same method for deleting recorded TV shows in Media Center that you would use if it was a locally stored WTV. If you have the connector creating WMV files, you will have to manually delete them as you would and other file stored on the server.

?? Power settings on my Media Center.

My Media Center keeps shutting down after a period of time. I'm not sure why, as my "Balanced" power mode only tells they system to go to sleep and not shut down.

Are there any Tweeks I need to do either system.?

I went ahead and installed the connector.

After having an evening of fraustration of loosing connection to my server and internet. Many reboots. I believe I figured out that my Video Drivers needed updating. Interesting that Media Center kept bombing out after a period of time. I installed the new drivers and all seems to be well-I find out tonight when I get home if I am correct.

So, my video's have been transfered to my server-Very Nice. But I cannot view them through my Sony SMP. I can view them from my laptop via Media Center though. Do I need to change the extentions or because of DRM, I need a PC/ HTCP?

Also, when I get done viewing a program, How do I delete it or keep it?

The Serviio addin should work for Sony players.

http://serviiowhs.codeplex.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I heard the discussion about Serviio in the last podcast and wanted to chime in. I use this as the heart of my media setup. When I got a new Samsung TV, I wanted to ditch my MediaPortal dedicated box and use the DLNA capabilities in the TV. So I connected the ethernet and excitedly hit the "source" key. The WHS source came up as a DLNA device, I selected a video, it started to come up but then said that it wasn't a readable format. Balls. What do I do know? After alot of research I came across Serviio. Threw it on my WHS v1 and now there was another DLNA source for the TV to consume. Selected a file and away it went! Not only that, but it transcodes MKV's and anything else I throw at it. The TV & a WDTV Live box in the bedroom both use the Serviio service every day. It's awesome. So, when John was talking about using Serviio with Sony products, I thought he must be talking about Samsung - but now I see it really was Sony. In my case, it was a Samsung problem that Serviio solved.

I am so honored to have my name and topic discussed on last Pod Cast-Thanks.

:D

To stand corrected, my Sony SMP100 will not play Windows Media Center Recorded TV fed via Serviio. I guess I need to convert these to another format to make it available to my Sony SMP.

Media Center does work very well so far. How long does it take before MC decided to transfer the recordings to the server? Is there a way to monitor this to insure I don't shut down MC before it is done?

I am so honored to have my name and topic discussed on last Pod Cast-Thanks.

:D

To stand corrected, my Sony SMP100 will not play Windows Media Center Recorded TV fed via Serviio. I guess I need to convert these to another format to make it available to my Sony SMP.

Media Center does work very well so far. How long does it take before MC decided to transfer the recordings to the server? Is there a way to monitor this to insure I don't shut down MC before it is done?

It was my pleasure to mention your name on the podcast. I know that a lot of people are surprised and happy when they hear their name mentioned, ( some time in the spotlight ). So I try to make the effort to find and mention the contributors name as a thank you for your contributions to this WHS community.

According to Tim Daleo's post here, http://connecteddigi...a-friday-night/ the transfers are done at midnight.

Some people like this and some don't. I like to use a 3rd party app from Brent Friedman called TV Manager. It does not include a Media Center Tile, but does install a WHS Tab on the server and a PC desktop connector with a nice visual presentation. It also includes a web interface. The default video transfer is set directly after the recording is completed or can bet set to a specific time.

If it's set to the default time, you might experience a stutter when viewing the recorded TV if your server is also transfering a recording while at the same time your watching something that was previously recorded since it's accessing the hard drive for 2 purposes. So then using a set time would be a better option to avoid stuttering. So you could test which you prefer.

Let me know if you try the app and how you like it.

http://blog.compugee...-manager-1-0-1/

http://www.wegotserved.com/2009/09/12/add-in-review-tv-manager/

?? Power settings on my Media Center.

My Media Center keeps shutting down after a period of time. I'm not sure why, as my "Balanced" power mode only tells they system to go to sleep and not shut down.

Are there any Tweeks I need to do either system.?

Many differ on this subject but what I do is go into the power settings and kill the screen saver, disable power settings, and most of all click on the change power settings and drill down to where it says "hard drive" and disable the hard drive turn off. If you do this correctly you will not have any more problems going forward.