RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

CrashPlan

geek-accountant

CrashPlan finally got all the files I wanted backed up. Total of just over 1,000,000 files and 1.2TB of data. It took a while, but I am glad it is finally done. Now it just uploads any new or changed files.

I had come close to having everything backed up before, but I moved things around and ended up starting over again, TWICE!

I run CrashPlan on my WHS and use scheduled SyncToy task to pull the data from either unRAID or the PC's directly. Speaking of unRAID, looks like a drive just died so I am off to Microcenter to pick up another one.

CrashPlan finally got all the files I wanted backed up. Total of just over 1,000,000 files and 1.2TB of data. It took a while, but I am glad it is finally done. Now it just uploads any new or changed files.

I had come close to having everything backed up before, but I moved things around and ended up starting over again, TWICE!

I run CrashPlan on my WHS and use scheduled SyncToy task to pull the data from either unRAID or the PC's directly. Speaking of unRAID, looks like a drive just died so I am off to Microcenter to pick up another one.

I do the same, although I only have about 700 GB's being backed up. I thought about adding about 1 TB of home movies to it. Mine is over the internet as I back it up to their cloud.

Is this over the internet or just on your LAN?

Yes, over the internet.

I do the same, although I only have about 700 GB's being backed up. I thought about adding about 1 TB of home movies to it. Mine is over the internet as I back it up to their cloud.

I don't include any of my movies.

Yea, having caps would change things for me. For one, I am not sure I could do a podcast.

Wish I had the option of doing that; bandwidth caps make it impossible.

Actually some are doing it even with caps. They spread out the upload over an extended period of time (hopefully not 1.2T), then the maintenance usually does not present a problem. In any case, I am glad I do not have caps.

I have a question for you CrashPlan users. If you use the peer backup option, is it possible to seed the remote hard drive with the files you want to back up so you don't have to spend time sending them over the internet initially?

I have a question for you CrashPlan users. If you use the peer backup option, is it possible to seed the remote hard drive with the files you want to back up so you don't have to spend time sending them over the internet initially?

Absolutely. Actually that is a great way to go. You can do it to a peer or to there service. They have a free trial that you should try.

If I had a 250GB cap I might consider it. Unfortunately, mine is 80GB. It's $1.25/GB for overage.

Ouch! Where do you live that you have such a low cap?