RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
writetomichael

SSD and RAM Home Server Upgrade

pcdoc

Many ISP routers can also be put into bridge mode rendering them into a standard modem. I had to that with the crappy TW router.

ikon

You can clone the second router to match the MAC of the first one.

That doesn't work for this ISP. The ISP also pushes out firmware updates to the routers. If a router doesn't respond correctly during an update attempt, the customer will be getting a call :P

ikon

Many ISP routers can also be put into bridge mode rendering them into a standard modem. I had to that with the crappy TW router.

That's what I do.

writetomichael

Thanks for the input everyone.

Does anyone have some good suggestions for a decent mid range router?

As a side note I should thank everyone here for the input in helping me build my server - as with most tech projects there is always the danger (at least with me and my mates) of building something for the sake of a project but in the case of a server it has genuinely improved my life - having all my videos, photos available 24/7 from either at home or remotely is so useful, as is the piece of mind that comes with having everything constantly backed up. I took a reading of the power draw today and it's at 30watts which here in London costs about £60 per year! Definitely worth it.

For people with iPads/smart TVs a server is indispensable!

jmwills

Have you tried a BYOB project using either Untangle or pfSense? A great little project to make your own router.

pcdoc

What are you looking for in a router? Many of the mid range Linksys, Dlink, and Netgear routers work fine for standard use. If you want something with a bit more security, router level antivirus, and more configurable consider untangle. Be aware that it is a bit more challenging to setup but the end result is pretty awesome. Just depends on needs and budget.

Joe_Miner

Thanks for the input everyone.

Does anyone have some good suggestions for a decent mid range router?

As a side note I should thank everyone here for the input in helping me build my server - as with most tech projects there is always the danger (at least with me and my mates) of building something for the sake of a project but in the case of a server it has genuinely improved my life - having all my videos, photos available 24/7 from either at home or remotely is so useful, as is the piece of mind that comes with having everything constantly backed up. I took a reading of the power draw today and it's at 30watts which here in London costs about £60 per year! Definitely worth it.

For people with iPads/smart TVs a server is indispensable!

I have no idea if this is anything you'd be interested in but I've been using the D-Link DGL-4500 since Sept 2009 and have been very pleased with it. Admitedly, I'm a D-Link Fan Boy so keep that in mind. I basically plugged my DGL-4500 in, set it up, and have mostly forgotten it -- and that's what I like -- boring reliability.

Hope this is useful.