RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
SteveO

HP MediaSmart EX487 (FL701AA#ABA) Install Disk Needed-Help!

SteveO

Hi,

I am new to the forums. I just bought a working HP MediaSmart EX487 (FL701AA#ABA) that does not have the factory install (OS) disk. It does have the COA on the bottome for WHS. I am guessing this would hava to be WHS ver1. Does anyone have a copy they can sell me or make a copy of and sell them to me? Thanks Ahead of time

Steve Dubbs

www.PcBugOut.com

jmwills

Was the OS disk lost or the owner did not want to part with it? Technically, that is an OEM system and the OS is forever tied to it. Of course, there are workaorunds.

SteveO

I was told the disk were lost. I was under the impression that the install disk were like any windows install disk, (ie.) a dell win 7 pro would always work as long as you had the systems original COA off the machine. Is this not the case here? How would HP ever be able to sell you a replacement, if they still carried parts or software for this model? I am also missing two drive trays. I got some deal huh?

Thanks

Steve

jmwills

Yea, you did. :( Using the COA, you might be able to call M$ and see if they would sell you another copy, but honestly, you can catch a deal for WHS for about $45 these days on NewEgg or similar outlets.

Joe_Miner

Yea, you did. :( Using the COA, you might be able to call M$ and see if they would sell you another copy, but honestly, you can catch a deal for WHS for about $45 these days on NewEgg or similar outlets.

He can try calling HP for the missing disks and drive trays but -- IMHO -- With the missing disks and missing drive trays (and apparently no manuals/documentation) I think he'd be better off selling it for parts and using the $ to get a MicroServer and a copy of WHS-2011.

jmwills

Not a bad idea on a Microserver.

ikon

Do we know what CPU the unit has? Does it support x64. If so, then WHS2011 should be able to run and, as jmwills stated, it can be had for $50 or less.

jmwills

I think it will support an x64 install. If not, off to E-Bay to find a v1 copy.

Joe_Miner

Do we know what CPU the unit has? Does it support x64. If so, then WHS2011 should be able to run and, as jmwills stated, it can be had for $50 or less.

It is a X64 MB but there are many other issues. Assuming it's a stock EX-487 the 440 CPU isn't going to have the Horse Power for WHS2011 without an upgrade ($60+), plus the RAM should be upgraded out to 4G ($). The EX-487 is also headless and while it's possible to install WHS2011 onto a headless EX-487 it's a serious PIA -- so then you're talking about adding a KVM ($80+). Keep in mind he's missing drive trays which means the air flow is all screwed up (overheating potential there) and he''l need to buy replacements somewhere to correct that and populate the tower. We haven't even gotten into the issue of having no manuals to work from etc. It may be a working EX-487 but we don't know how well it's working. I see it as a money pit.

I'd say screw it and get a MicroServer.

Edited by Joe_Miner

jmwills

This guy is fairly close to you Joe Miner.