RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What to do with the new MicroServer

What to do with the new MicroServer  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Tell Yoda what to do with his new Microserver - a hopefull HSS write up will follow the build

• Make a MacMicroOSXServer - make HP and Apple live happy together
    • Full Walkthrough of making a microserver a SAN for your Win7/WHS2011 server
    • CommodoreVision - bringing linux to your home while embrasing your early geek
    • Your own idea ? - think of something I have not listed, post a reply and if I like it I will see if it can be done

jmwills

So, if I had ESXi running on the microserver and Hyper-v running on another machine would I be able to move VM's between the machines? That would certainly be interesting!

A MicroServer as a COOP is a very compelling idea.

Yes...the first thing the tool does is search the local network for an ESXi server. If the server is found, you select the install parameters and the process begins. Seems like it took about 15 minutes to transfer a normal 2008 install over a GIG network.

Joe_Miner

No I leave that kind of fun for Dave though we could always send an ioSafe through my battery wrecker then the lead reverb furnace. Just to see how it does.

Could we live stream that?

Could we live stream that?

LOL, does it blend?

NP have 96 security cams recording at 1.3 mp at 3fps,

3fps? Nothing like 'robot motion' destruction :D

yodafett

While it is at 3fps we find that having high res cams a 3fps is far more usefull than sub VGA at 15fps or better. We could easily do 30 but every fps is 321 GB for a month storage so while I have 108TB storage at the plant for video now would need around 450TB for 15fps. As it is I have 1 server set up just for 1 Cam to record for 5 years of Red Phospherus storage since it is used in makin meth.

While it is at 3fps we find that having high res cams a 3fps is far more usefull than sub VGA at 15fps or better. We could easily do 30 but every fps is 321 GB for a month storage so while I have 108TB storage at the plant for video now would need around 450TB for 15fps. As it is I have 1 server set up just for 1 Cam to record for 5 years of Red Phospherus storage since it is used in makin meth.

Whoa, I just had a "Breaking Bad" flash back LOL!

I hear you about the high res vs fps. I've set up a number of security cams and, when it comes to identifying people on the video, high res beats out motion every time.

yodafett
Step by step for installing ESXi? One big advantage is the base OS (ESXi) could run on a flash drive utilzing less memory and allowing you to create two RAID 1 arrays or one RAID 5 and one RAID 1 or 0 if you put another HDD in the top bay. Right now, mine is a backup location for the WHS even though the RAID 5 array is rock steady ( as he knocks on wood) a COOP server is always a good idea, or at least for me.
I have a lot of rebuilds in mind for my MicroServer for the next year with later this summer making it a test bed for Server 8 -- but eventually I'd like to figure out ESXi on this machine and have fun installing different OS's in VM's and moving things around. Right now I'm WAY down on the learning curve for Hyper-V so you might say I'm in a target rich environment! I continue to be amazed at the performance I'm getting out of this Machine! I would love to see a step by step for installing all sorts of OS's on the MicroServer -- both as hosts and as VM's.

Ok here is the rough cut tonight of me installing VMWare ESXi on the new microserver

I am still waiting on the 8GB or ram but have installed a second Nic, a ATI 2400HD videocard, and a 16GB SanDisk Cruzer fit. I also went ahead and put a sata cable in while i had everything out.