RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What to do with the new MicroServer

What to do with the new MicroServer  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Tell Yoda what to do with his new Microserver - a hopefull HSS write up will follow the build

• Make a MacMicroOSXServer - make HP and Apple live happy together
    • Full Walkthrough of making a microserver a SAN for your Win7/WHS2011 server
    • CommodoreVision - bringing linux to your home while embrasing your early geek
    • Your own idea ? - think of something I have not listed, post a reply and if I like it I will see if it can be done

yodafett

So I my new Projectbox/Microserver is coming home from the work project I got it for on Monday. It is time for the HSS community to come up with an idea on what I do with it. The plan is to document the build so that I can share the how to with all of you so that you can have less trip falls if you decide to follow. These are amazingly versitile little boxes and can be used for much more than an HTPC or WHS box while not being as anemic as the Atom boxes have been in the past (though the Atom is still my goto proc for projects that need to go beyond a VM for better testing.)

While whole heartily a MS Fanboy, I do have a blended family with a blended home - Win7, XP, OSX, WHS, CommodoreVision, AmigaDos, GeOS, iOS and WinMobile (CE) all live in the house. I still even have an old WinME and BeOS box around ussually for retro gaming that just does not like XP and beyond. So you help decide what I do and document next on this little engine that could

Joe_Miner

I have a lot of rebuilds in mind for my MicroServer for the next year with later this summer making it a test bed for Server 8 -- but eventually I'd like to figure out ESXi on this machine and have fun installing different OS's in VM's and moving things around. Right now I'm WAY down on the learning curve for Hyper-V so you might say I'm in a target rich environment!

I continue to be amazed at the performance I'm getting out of this Machine!

I would love to see a step by step for installing all sorts of OS's on the MicroServer -- both as hosts and as VM's.

jmwills

Step by step for installing ESXi? One big advantage is the base OS (ESXi) could run on a flash drive utilzing less memory and allowing you to create two RAID 1 arrays or one RAID 5 and one RAID 1 or 0 if you put another HDD in the top bay.

Right now, mine is a backup location for the WHS even though the RAID 5 array is rock steady ( as he knocks on wood) a COOP server is always a good idea, or at least for me.

yodafett

Ok ESXi is definately possible, can then see if i can migrate the VMs i have on the Optiplex 755 over which i have mac, commodore and openfiler vms running on

jmwills

The VM migrator tool by VMWare is just outstanding for that. Used it once...flawless..worked perfectly.

Joe_Miner

So, if I had ESXi running on the microserver and Hyper-v running on another machine would I be able to move VM's between the machines? That would certainly be interesting!

A MicroServer as a COOP is a very compelling idea.

yodafett

Ye

So, if I had ESXi running on the microserver and Hyper-v running on another machine would I be able to move VM's between the machines? That would certainly be interesting!

A MicroServer as a COOP is a very compelling idea.

Yes, Microsoft VMM for system center does just that

on on ESXi there is VMware vCenter Converter

There is also http://vmtoolkit.com/blogs/announcements/archive/2006/11/20/vmdk-to-vhd-converter-available.aspx

for a free way to convert doaable but a bit more unautomated

yodafett

No I leave that kind of fun for Dave though we could always send an ioSafe through my battery wrecker then the lead reverb furnace. Just to see how it does.