RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

The Home Server Show 179

Dave

There are those shows you remember and some you would rather forget. Episode 179 will not be forgotten by me due to two things. The first, Skype hates me, and two, Susan Bradley joined us for some conversation. It was hard for me to wrap the show because we all wanted to hear more from the Small Business Server MVP. John, Jim, and Susan chat it up about Twitter, SBS, WHS 2011, Multipoint Server, Drive Extender and more. Dave just sat on mute while Skype played it's game!

Susan Bradley - MVP Small Business Server @SBSDiva on Twitter, sbsdiva.com on the web.

titlerequired.com - Small Business Server Tips and Tricks

UR2 Hotfix for Computer Monitoring Error now available

Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials

Windows Multipoint Server 2011

Windows Server 2008 R2 Windows Storage Server

Microsoft Action Pack

http://www.smallbizserver.com/

https://www.facebook.com/HomeServers – The Home Server Show Facebook Page

We now have gurlz hehehe

Be happy you did not have the wheels off comentary from tonights averageguy podcast

• Like 1

Really good to hear things from the SBS end of things. Also very helpful to understand where the different server products "place" and some of the reasoning that MS apply to the product features. Great show thank you all. (the Skype issues were not apparent in the recording / edit)

This was a fantastic show and covered allot of territory. Would love to see her come back for a deeper dive into some specific subjects. A special thanks to Susan not only for the show but for helping us with the monitoring bug.

I actually enjoyed listening to her as well, so forgive me if this offends. Sure Dave, Skype hated you, but perhaps this was just a different way to interact with a guest? She is definitively not like some in the past promoting products and such. (Not that many have nor did they flood their time with salesman speak) I actually wouldn't have even noticed the glitches and such if you hadn't come on in the beginning and made mention of your issues. Even with all of the challenges, the conversation was lively and very informative. It may not have been a "perfect" podcast, but that's why I listen to this show and participate in this group of mighty warriors.

As a side note, I really enjoy listening to live music because you get to hear their voices and instruments for what they are. No post production work as you're hearing it live and in front of your face (or ears).

Keep up the great work!

I was interested to hear how she actually deployed the products within her own environment.

In response to the "cloud backup" discussion, there is no excuse for not having an offsite backup in any enterprise. If you have employees that depend on you for income

, you need to have a disaster recovery plan that includes planning for the complete destruction of your building and every asset in it. Insurance will replace your equipment, but data is irreplaceable Not to say you shouldn't have a local backup as well, of course. Most businesses who have a building fire will fail within a few years (don't remember the exact statistic.)

Of course, I work for a datacenter, and we have a nice co-location for ourself, but we are our managed service client's backup "target" as it were. You can always find someone local to be your "cloud". If your a client of ours and you have a fire at 4:00am, I will get up and drive to your location with LTO4s full of all your backup data. Hell, most people usually end up restoring their environments on our hypervisor cluster.....

Learn to love your local datacenters, you just might have to look with a magnifying glass to find them :).