RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How do I open a program running as a service?

mattd390

I used task manager to auto run a program each time my computer starts (windows 7) and it works great but I can't actually pull the program up to see the interface. Has anyone else ever ran into this? Any idea on how to make it visible?

I used task manager to auto run a program each time my computer starts (windows 7) and it works great but I can't actually pull the program up to see the interface. Has anyone else ever ran into this? Any idea on how to make it visible?

is it set for when user is logged in or whether or not if user is looged on. if later you definately can not as it is running at a lower level than the gui

change to run when a user is logged on.

One reason this can happen is if the program is being launched using the System account (the default when creating new tasks). Since you probably log in as yourself, you don't get to interact with stuff running under another account. You could try changing the Task so it runs the program using your credentials.

BTW, minor point: starting a program from a Scheduled Task doesn't make it a service. Programs can often be run as services, but certain things have to be done to make it possible.

is it set for when user is logged in or whether or not if user is looged on. if later you definately can not as it is running at a lower level than the gui

change to run when a user is logged on.

It was set to run whether or not the user logged on. For some reason I can access it now (the GUI). Weird! I think I did change the user to do it though, thanks for the info Yoda!

One reason this can happen is if the program is being launched using the System account (the default when creating new tasks). Since you probably log in as yourself, you don't get to interact with stuff running under another account. You could try changing the Task so it runs the program using your credentials.

BTW, minor point: starting a program from a Scheduled Task doesn't make it a service. Programs can often be run as services, but certain things have to be done to make it possible.

Changing the accounts work, thanks Ikon. Ooops, I think the walk through stated it was running as a service :), thanks for the info Ikon!

No problem, seems like I spend a couple days each month trying to automate task from contractors on processes that work when they are logged in but not when they are running as a task or service mode. The stick I use to beat into them that they need to request a service account and tell me the actual permissions they want and not administrator has been worn down into a toothpick, need to get me a new one.

Edited by yodafett