RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H

Joe_Miner

I've been going thru the manual for the GA-Z77X-UD5H and have found many interesting things -- this board is really looking nice for an Ivy Bridge build.

Something that I thought was really interesting was on Page 54 in the BIOS Features section:

GA-Z77X-UD5H_Virtulization.jpg

YES, they are openly throwing in support for VT-d!!

Yah!!

I've also been looking at RAM -- more on that later...................

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• ikon

• Joe_Miner

• SikSlayer

I thought the VT-d detail in the manual was interesting because it was something I had told them they should do back when I was trying to figure out how to enable VT-d on my Z68 boards. Of course I'm sure I wasn't the reason they did it -- it was all the other bazillion people writing them asking for the Mod BIOS for VT-d :)

Well, the VT-d issue is good if you want to run an ESXi server and pass thru more than 2TB , or at least I've not found a way to do it on the 1155 boards.

Well, the VT-d issue is good if you want to run an ESXi server and pass thru more than 2TB , or at least I've not found a way to do it on the 1155 boards.

Well, the VT-d is a moot point if you want to run a "K" CPU or if you're one of the 99.9999999999999% like me who aren't sure what they would do with it anyway -- but it's still nice 2 see it there and available in the manual -- ya never know.

Well, the VT-d is a moot point if you want to run a "K" CPU

I seem to recall something about K processors not supporting VT-d, is that correct?

I seem to recall something about K processors not supporting VT-d, is that correct?

That's correct. The K's are unlocked so they can be overclocked and for either technical or marketing reasons the K's don't support VT-d. You can see that in a comparison of the i7-3770and the i7-3770K though both do support VT-x

Edited by Joe_Miner

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd kick off what RAM could potentially go with this board.......................

From what I can tell from the manual unless you’re overclocking the fastest memory is DDR3-1600.

In looking at options on memory it would seem that you could go with (among many others):

16GB with option (nice to keep our options open I think) to go to 32GB later –

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM @ $129.99

32GB –

2 of the above F3-1600C9D-16GXM for $259.98

Or

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9Q-32GXM @ $284.99

With free shipping for both why would anyone go with the 32GXM over 2 of the 16GXM?

What other RAM options are folks looking at?