RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

It's starting to look like we'll see the Ivy Bridge out April 23rd!

jmwills

If you're coming from an 1155 board, probably not, but very possible if you are on an 1156. Your mileage may vary.

Joe_Miner

If you're coming from an 1155 board, probably not, but very possible if you are on an 1156. Your mileage may vary.

Roughly, 10-15% CPU performance boost over Sandy and 50%+ GPU performance boost over Sandy -- plus greater power efficiency.

Roughly, 10-15% CPU performance boost over Sandy and 50%+ GPU performance boost over Sandy -- plus greater power efficiency.

I can see where the GPU improvement could be enticing. The other 2 are, for me, just 'nice to haves".

yodafett

I can definately see mid summer it being even better when the Ivy Bridge Ultrabooks start shipping as the spec sort of requires unboard video. PCIe 3.0 support will be nice if we were at capacity on PCIe 2.1

jmwills

The power saving might make it worth the jump, it I can put a power meter on the 1156 board and see what the ROI will be. Less than one year, which I doubt, and I'm in. Hmmm, I need to sell some of the extra gear I have laying around. A spare 1156 & 1155 board and extra Microserver..look for a posting in "Deals"

Joe_Miner

The power saving might make it worth the jump, it I can put a power meter on the 1156 board and see what the ROI will be. Less than one year, which I doubt, and I'm in. Hmmm, I need to sell some of the extra gear I have laying around. A spare 1156 & 1155 board and extra Microserver..look for a posting in "Deals"

Don't forget the "coolness" factor and the "full foshay" factor! :)

Comparing power requirements it would only seem to make sense for devices turned on a lot (like a Server on 24/7) and then we'd want to look at the idle requirements. From what I've read the Z77 boards are suppose to be more efficient over the Z68's but I know my Z68 running a i5-2500K was only drawing 37-41 W at idle.

Now if I was comparing a Z77 to running my desktop 24/7 there would be a big difference with the i7-930 on the X58 board and the HD5850.... I don't think it would be a good (efficient) idea to repurpose my desktop to a Server :)