RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
coffejor

HP N40L Microserver $199.99

ikon

What could you possibly do with all that? I mean, there's no way you could watch it all - you'd have to continue watching during your own funeral :)

Joe_Miner

(snip)

Yes that is more my style. I just spent about $75k on a Dell EqualLocig SAN and two iSCSI switches at work and began wondering how I could get that replicated in my home. I have come up with a pitch to have my home be our disaster recovery site for the office so I would obviously need to duplicate the hardware at the house.

The cheap way is an i3 full at motherboard, an antec 1100 case (has 12 5.25 bays). 4 of the icy dock 5in3 bay adapter. 3 8 port raid adapters or a single dell Perc card

20 3tb drives.

16gb flash

4 port intel nic

Presto an open filer San with 60tb storage and 4gbs LAN connection

I'm afraid I'm not in your league guys.

I don't think my wife would see the humor if I told her about your home computer budgets!

jmwills

What could you possibly do with all that? I mean, there's no way you could watch it all - you'd have to continue watching during your own funeral :)

Some of that video is from his funeral!

yodafett

That is all the security video, considering I work in one of the heavily regulated industries we need it in case of accidents or theft. Considering I pay about 11k for our standard 38tb server compared to 16k for a 2tb analog DVR it is actually fairly cheap and a lot easier to increase storage with less manual labor.

Mostly have a revolving 30 day storage but each plant does have a camera watching a compound used in an illegal drug that we have to keep 5 years of video for

I'm afraid I'm not in your league guys.

I don't think my wife would see the humor if I told her about your home computer budgets!

I said cheap at least compared to the real LSI or EMC SANs I manage for work. At home my SAN has been atom and recent changed to a HP microserver. Thinking of going back to the atom though as I found a way to make the microserver into OSX Lion. That eans 1micro running Lion and the other running CommodoreVision.

tojoski

Just got mine in... sometimes its really nice just being a few hours from the newegg warehouse in TN.

Cant wait to play with this thing over the weekend

jmwills

^^ Agreed - nice to be close to Memphis.

Joe_Miner

Just got mine in... sometimes its really nice just being a few hours from the newegg warehouse in TN.

Cant wait to play with this thing over the weekend

You're going to have a fun weekend I'm sure. I'm planning to play with some HW this weekend too (after I get thru all the yard work and work around the house my wife has planned for me).

Let us know how it goes!

ikon

after I get thru all the yard work and work around the house my wife has planned for me).

Hung 1 replacement bathroom door yesterday, hung another 1 today, and have a bedroom one to hang tomorrow :)

yodafett

Can I do yard work, I have to rebuild 3 SAP Portal Servers for 2008 R2 oh the joy

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Can I do yard work, I have to rebuild 3 SAP Portal Servers for 2008 R2 oh the joy

I have a server question for you. When you create a print server for a location, do you use the print server role or do you set up the different printers as shares?

PS Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a network admin that thinks using the print server role is not the best standard.