RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Krankycheese

RAID Question

jmwills

With regard to the OS drive, an alternative to using a RAID-1 mirror is to instead utilize WHS 2011's built-in backup. I prefer doing it this way, since with a backup you get the ability to roll-back to a point in time. More downtime of course since if you're main OS drive dies you need to put in the replacement and then do a restore, but for a home/hobbiest user (like most of us are) that's probably acceptable.

I agree but the RAID 1 provides redundancy and zero downtime.

ikon

With regard to the OS drive, an alternative to using a RAID-1 mirror is to instead utilize WHS 2011's built-in backup. I prefer doing it this way, since with a backup you get the ability to roll-back to a point in time. More downtime of course since if you're main OS drive dies you need to put in the replacement and then do a restore, but for a home/hobbiest user (like most of us are) that's probably acceptable.

How bout mirroring AND an external backup drive? That's what I do. It gives me redundancy and the ability to roll back.

eagle63

How bout mirroring AND an external backup drive? That's what I do. It gives me redundancy and the ability to roll back.

Good point, no reason you can't do both.

ikon

Good point, no reason you can't do both.

The price of one extra drive. Since the OS partition is less than 100GB, I just used some older drives I had on the shelf. Net cost: $0 :)

jmwills

About a year ago we were all on this IcyDock adapter than can hold two 2.5" drives in a RAID 1 configuration. Several including me installed a server with it and mine has performed flawlessly (as he reaches for a piece of wood to knock on).

The OS partition can only be less than 160 gigs unless you modify the install.

eagle63

As I'm thinking about this, I realize I have a Rocket Raid card sitting in my basement that I got somewhere months ago. (can't even remember why, it came free with something I bought once on newegg) It's just a small PCI card with 2 sata ports on it so I assume it's a RAID 1 card. Any reason I couldn't stick this in the HP Microserver and use it to do RAID 1 on the OS drive?

ikon

The OS partition can only be less than 160 gigs unless you modify the install.

Yeah, forgot about that. I used older 250GB drives so it wasn't an issue.

jmwills

None whatsover, I think the two expansion slots are a 16x & 1x

eagle63
None whatsover, I think the two expansion slots are a 16x & 1x

fantastic. That means I don't need to use the e-sata port. I could use the raid card for the mirrored os drives, and then the 4 "normal" sata ports for my data drives. The only thing is I'd need to find a place in the microserver to stick a 6th drive. (I've got a bracket to convert the optical bay into a fifth drive slot)

jmwills

Stick a 2.5" drive beneath the ODD slot. More than enough room under there. Joe Miner might even send you some of his patented blue tape to hold it in place. :lol: