RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Krankycheese

RAID Question

Krankycheese

Thank you all for the input!

RAID 1 sounds like my starting point. It will allow me to "get my feet wet" with RAID and provide duplication. I will probably buy a RAID controller card to set it up. If my data needs grow to the point of a RAID 5, I can buy the hard drives and setup a RAID 5 with those drives.

I like the local external drive idea and will explore that as well.

ikon

Good luck with it. Post some pics of the build.

Krankycheese

I ordered a pair of SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB 32MB Cache SATA drives from Newegg since they had a sweet deal. What sort of raid card should I go with? Are the cards in the $50-100 range good? Are there brands to avoid?

pcdoc

I ordered a pair of SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB 32MB Cache SATA drives from Newegg since they had a sweet deal. What sort of raid card should I go with? Are the cards in the $50-100 range good? Are there brands to avoid?

I line with the other members, if you are using a pair in mirror, then just use the motherboard. Using a RAID card for a single mirror is a bit of an overkill and will not buy you much. I do not use motherboards for RAID 5 but use them for mirrors which is what I have in my system. Wait till your needs expand and then add a RR2720 and appropriate cables. Your investment will be about $125 with cables.

ikon

ditto to what pcdoc says. My WHS2011 is running mirrored 250GB Maxtors for the OS, using the mobo RAID, and four 2TB WD RE4s on a 3ware RAID card for data.

Krankycheese

Here is a quick update. I went with a $30 Rosewill RC-211 card since I was going to plug in two drives for a RAID 1 only. Only one folder has been moved so far as I want to run it for a few days to make sure there are no faulty drives or card before transitioning the rest of the data over. Cloudberry is setup to copy the folder contents to another drive just in case.

With the freed up 1TB drives, I will look at a external NAS where I can plug those drives into.

Thank you all for the input.

pcdoc

Here is a quick update. I went with a $30 Rosewill RC-211 card since I was going to plug in two drives for a RAID 1 only. Only one folder has been moved so far as I want to run it for a few days to make sure there are no faulty drives or card before transitioning the rest of the data over. Cloudberry is setup to copy the folder contents to another drive just in case.

With the freed up 1TB drives, I will look at a external NAS where I can plug those drives into.

Thank you all for the input.

Great to hear you got it working and good luck with it. Keep us posted.

DesertServer

I would recommend RAID 5 vs mirror. The RAID 5 is easy to expand and has basically the same amount of failure protection as a mirrored situation. The argument could be made that if you buy all your hard drives together they will fail at roughly the same time under similar duty cycle. So if you swap out a failed drive, be it the mirror drive or one of several raid 5 drives another will fail during the rebuild. The advantage to the RAID 5 is that you could expand easily, without moving the data to other drives etc.. As far as a card goes I think the Perc 5i is a nice, cheap, reliable solution here. They can be had for sub $100 on ebay, have battery backup and cache. Also they are true hardware raid cards, the chipset is LSI and you can use LSI storage manger within Windows, as opposed to from bios. I've got 5 1TB hitachi's setup with the perc 5i. It's been running continuously for about 1.5yrs. I grew the array once, adding the 5th drive. I should probably have a hot spare but I monitor it fairly often.

ikon

I would recommend RAID 5 vs mirror. The RAID 5 is easy to expand and has basically the same amount of failure protection as a mirrored situation. The argument could be made that if you buy all your hard drives together they will fail at roughly the same time under similar duty cycle. So if you swap out a failed drive, be it the mirror drive or one of several raid 5 drives another will fail during the rebuild. The advantage to the RAID 5 is that you could expand easily, without moving the data to other drives etc.. As far as a card goes I think the Perc 5i is a nice, cheap, reliable solution here. They can be had for sub $100 on ebay, have battery backup and cache. Also they are true hardware raid cards, the chipset is LSI and you can use LSI storage manger within Windows, as opposed to from bios. I've got 5 1TB hitachi's setup with the perc 5i. It's been running continuously for about 1.5yrs. I grew the array once, adding the 5th drive. I should probably have a hot spare but I monitor it fairly often.

Just 1 small note of caution: not all RAID can be expanded easily; some not at all. It's fairly common these days to be able to expand, but it's not guaranteed. People should check to be sure.

eagle63

With regard to the OS drive, an alternative to using a RAID-1 mirror is to instead utilize WHS 2011's built-in backup. I prefer doing it this way, since with a backup you get the ability to roll-back to a point in time. More downtime of course since if you're main OS drive dies you need to put in the replacement and then do a restore, but for a home/hobbiest user (like most of us are) that's probably acceptable.