RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Possible to blast OS backup from old drive to new??

vinylfreak

I want to change out the OS drive on my 7MC HTPC. My question is this. I have a Frankenbuild with Backups of my current HTPC OS drive. Is it possible to install a new OS drive in the HTPC and blast one of those backups onto the new OS drive? Are the backups tied directly to the Old OS drive? If this is not possible within WHS, is there another dependable way to accomplish this?
I am trying not to do a Clean Install , but if I have to I will go through the pain. Thanks for taking the time to answer my noobish ? ;-)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehard

• vinylfreak

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• fasthair

Yes it is possible and very easy. Just attach the new drive to one of your clients and run the restore wizard. Make sure you restore to the new drive and not the client drive. Then install the new drive into the HTPC and you are set. You have almost zero downtime with this method. If you wait until diehard sees this he will have a link on how to do this (the guy has a link to everything).

haha thanks ITTOG,

From what Drashna told me, Vista and Windows 7 images are not hardware dependant, so you can restore an image to a different hard drive (you can evena copy that image to a different PC all together. In the new PC you should then do Windows Update).

To be on the safe side, before you start a restore, open up a backup from the WHS on your PC and you should see a folder that was created that has your network card drives. Copy that to a USB thumb drive just in case the restore process can not see the server. The PC Restore CD might might have drivers for your network card and could fail.

Just use the PC Restore CD and boot that PC off the CD, then follow the directions. If you run into problems like restoring a 64 bit system or other issues like not seeing the server than let us know and I'll post some helpful links as ITTOG suggests. :-)

Thanks for the info guys!
I am restoring a 64 bit 7 ultimate machine.
I have tried two restores so far and the restore disc is not finding the server.
I did copy the folder from the most recent backup for this client with the drivers for restore.
Is this the correct folder I should be copying to the thumb drive?
I tried to install the drivers from the thumb drive on my second attempt and it still couldn't see the server.
Any additional help would be great! =)

I have two lan ports on the back of my motherboard. Would help to bypass going through my router and directly connect the server to the HTPC?

I did finally get drivers to install off of the USB drive, but it still cannot find my server.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =(

This is a good point dvn, I heard something about this. I believe it's because of the host file. From what I read, PP3 corrects this problem. Vinlyfreak, is your server up to date with PP3 ?

If this doesn't work, I noticed you said 64 bit. I've heard of that issue to, but adding the drivers maually should have helped. Andrew Edney had a link on something, I'll have to dig it up.

One thing you can do if your confortable doing is take out the hard drive from your PC's and put it directly into your server then run the clientwizard.exe from the c:\program files\Windows Home Server folder, make sure to point to the right drive to do the restore. You can add the drive to the server directly or through a USB enclosure.

Let me know what you choose.

I tried the process not connected to the internet and had the same results. Server not found.
I have a Linksys 610N router that my server, HTPC and an HDHomerun are all hardwired to. I tried the restore with the HDHomerun disconnected thinking it might help. Still could not find the server.

Every time I try to do the restore I load the drivers off of the thumbdrive, a window pops up saying all drivers OK check mark showing yet it never finds the server.

When I switch back into the current OS 7 Ultimate 64 bit, it sees and connects to the server just fine. I can access shared folders, I can open up the console and I can also RDP into the server with No Problem. I have re installed the connector several times thinking that it might help with the restore. I always get the same result, Server Not Found.
I would have no issue with connecting the New drive to the WHS to do the restore, but I'm actually trying to re install the HTPC OS onto a Raid 0 array , not a single drive.

I am at a loss! =(

I almost forgot I am up to date with PP3. I was running the beta before the final release came out.