RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Beware 11th April Windows Update- Breaks dashboard

fredp1

Hi,

I've just applied about 10 Windows update to WHS 2011 server and now I cannot see any users/computers/folders etc in the dashboard.

Trying to rollback the updates... but not looking good.

Hear is a image of the installed updates

20120411WindowsUpdateBreaksDashboard

Whats the best way to recover my system... backups would be working every day, but the Dashboard is empty?

Edited by fredp1

I have the same updates on my SBS-E2011 server, that include the one you highlighted. When opening the Dashboard on Server, I got a message about activating a license (unknown) and the Dashboard was blank. I closed that message and reopened the Dashboard and it's working as usual.

Are you opening the Dashboard from a PC ? maybe you don't get the message and that's what's holding you up. Try opening the Dashboard on the Server directly, or else through a Remote Desktop Connection to see if there is a difference.

Have you tried a reboot ?

There was no message like you mentioned when using RDP to access the dashboard after the update and reboot. ( I normally use the console or RDP to access the server)

Removed the uppdates, restarted, still nothing.

Reapplied all outstanding updates and restarted. The dashboard is still empty, no users, computers, folders. :-(

I just checked Windows Update and it shows KB2679255 in the list to be installed. I'm doing a backup of my WHS2011 system drive and will install the update. Will post whether it breaks anything or not.

Just installed KB2679255 by itself and rebooted WHS; no issues so far. Will install the rest of the updates and check again.

Thats good to hear.

I know the server was working fine as the lauchpad was working. After the updates, I couldn't connect nor could I see the items on the dashboard.

Maybe a coincedence.... ???

There is a backup a couple of hours before the problems on a usb drive.

How would I restore the c: drive?

The restore options gets confussing with volume restore, system state, or files/folder.

If I pick a volume restore, there is no drop down option for the c: This would have been the logical choice.

Do I need to restore system state as well as files?

I thought the process was to boot from the WHS2011 install DVD, pick the Repair or Restore option (can't recall exactly what it's called) and then point to the Image directory of the backup. I know I did it once just to be sure it works. Seems to me it just re-images the entire drive from the VHD.

BTW, I do not use the Bare Metal Recovery option during the backups because that tries to force me to back up everything, including all the data :(