RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

new microserver, whs 2011, backups...

flyboyco

So, got my new Microserver.. I am currently using whs1 (as a VM) to back up 6 machines. Since My Movies is now requiring whs2011 for the newest functionality, I have decided to go to 2011... I have installed 2011 on my new microserver. I was getting ready to get it set up, but noticed that my current backups are 3.1TB. Without drive pooling, will this work with 2TB drives, or do I need to set up a RAID or Drobo (love you Jim!) to make this work?

Can I keep using WHS1 as I have been for backups, but use WHS2011 on the same network to manage My Movies, shared folders, etc?

I have a HTPC, but all the recorded tv and videos are kept only on that machine and shared. The data is not transferred to the WHS.

-keith

Edited by flyboyco

Which backups? The backup of the Server OS (something you couldn't even do with WHSv1) cannot be more than 2TB. Also, each indivivual client PC cannot be more than 2TB. But, if all your client PC backups taken together are 3.1TB you most likely won't have a problem; at least not yet. You should check each of your client PCs to see how big its backup is.

I see no reason why you couldn't keep both servers going. You could have an issue with the Connectors (if you want to run both Connectors). IIRC, to get both of them to install successfully, you have to install the WHS2011 Connector first, then you can install the WHSv1 Connector. This is because the WHS2011 Connector is aware of the WHSv1 Connector and won't let you have both. The WHSv1 Connector doesn't know the WHS2011 one exists so it will happily install beside the it.

BTW, you can still transfer the recorded TV and videos to the WHS but using RoboCopy, TeraCopy, RichCopy, or some other bulk copy utility. Since you're copying, it's not considered a backup (just don't put the files in the same folder as the backups). At least it would give you a single backup of the data, in case the HTPC develops issues.

If you want to have both connectors installed, make sure you don't have the KB981089 update on your WHSv1 box, because then it will check to see if the WHS2011 connector is installed. Uninstall it and then go into Windows Update search for updates, if KB981089 show up, tick it to hide the update so it's not automatically installed.

If your running WHS2011 mostly for MyMovies and your content is on your HTPC, have you considered installing the stand alone version of MyMovies on the HTPC ? Would you loose any functionality ?

If your running WHS2011 mostly for MyMovies and your content is on your HTPC, have you considered installing the stand alone version of MyMovies on the HTPC ? Would you loose any functionality ?

That's what I do. I never could see a real reasons for running it on the server, so it's just installed on my HTPC. Mind you, the dB is on the WHS, so it gets backed up, and so are the video files.

So, got my new Microserver.. I am currently using whs1 (as a VM) to back up 6 machines. Since My Movies is now requiring whs2011 for the newest functionality, I have decided to go to 2011... I have installed 2011 on my new microserver. I was getting ready to get it set up, but noticed that my current backups are 3.1TB. Without drive pooling, will this work with 2TB drives, or do I need to set up a RAID or Drobo (love you Jim!) to make this work?

Can I keep using WHS1 as I have been for backups, but use WHS2011 on the same network to manage My Movies, shared folders, etc?

I have a HTPC, but all the recorded tv and videos are kept only on that machine and shared. The data is not transferred to the WHS.

-keith

To answer at least part of your question......

You can keep using WHS-V1 for backups but you'll have to keep the V1 connector on those machines you're backing up. You can also run WHS-2011 on the same network and make it a part of your HomeGroup and without installing it's connector you can still get into it from any machine on your network that's in your homegroup. You might want to test out it's funtionality either as a VM or install on the MicroServer first before deciding. I'm running 2011 as a VM right now and have it as part of my HomeGroup and have been using it to back up my V1 to -- admitidly I'm still testing and messing around but I'm liking it. I have a Win8 VM and a old HTPC that i've installed the 2011 connector on. In the past I've messed with test VM's of 2011 and V1 and doing what Dieharder said above you can get their connectors onto one machine but for a production machine with my valuable data (pictures of my grandson for example) I personally wouldn't modify the V1 updates to do that.

Wow! Thanks for all the response. I was just looking at the backups on the WHSv1 machine and found out that the backups were not getting deleted. I guess that explains the 3.1TB... I have backups for every day since November for all 6 machines. My backups are set for 2, 2, 2. Even backups manually marked for deletion are not getting deleted. I tried to force a cleanup, but it tells me "an error in the backup service is preventing the cleanup operation". I tried to repair, but that didnt help. Maybe its time to upgrade to WHS 2011 anyway...

Do i delete the connector off all my computers before installing the one for 2011?

Do i delete the connector off all my computers before installing the one for 2011?

That's what I did. Not sure it's strictly necessary, but I think it's just good practice anyway.

That's what I did. Not sure it's strictly necessary, but I think it's just good practice anyway.

Yes or else WHS2011 will not install it's connector.